• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contact cleaning tip

edpdx

While I was trouble shooting my starter relay issue, I opened the GP control card case to clean the contacts. I sprayed the contacts that grab the card; but felt they needed better cleaning than Electrical contact cleaner spray could provide from one angle. Here is what I did:

My daughters are always bringing me steel bristles from the street sweeper brush after the driver services our street- I use them for emergency lock picks. I tore off about 1 1/2" of 800 grit sand paper- a real thin strip, and Elmer's glue'd it to the end of such a bristle- folding it over the end. After the card was extracted, I carefully inserted the tool into each connector and "brushed" the connector tabs clean. Not a revelation, I know, but you can be sure you'll get a clean connection in this area that is otherwise impossible to eyeball. HTH.

Attachments

Last edited:

idM1028

Good tip. It's also not a bad idea to use dielectric grease when working on electrical stuff (no, I'm not making this up) You can pick it up at most auto parts stores and it helps keep water, dirt and other junk out once a part is clean. (It will still conduct electricty in case you're wondering) I will admit, I'm guilty of not using it as much as I should.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's an idea for you.

Have you daughters gather up th brissles, make the modifcation and sell them for a buck or two. I'd buy some as my city doesn't know what a street sweeper is....:wink:.

Teaches them about free business and gives them some spending money. And the CUCV owners get another cool tool for their trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks