• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contact service vehicle welder

SledgeHammer

I am new to this board and will say in advance thanks for any help I can get.
I just purchased a fairly decent 1031 contact service vehicle, and was wondering what kind of welder the rig would have had in it. I still has the working PTO generator, and AC air compresser, but I am missing the welder for it. Also, I would like to know anything and everthing about the tools they were set up to carry. I guess I kind of got the bug now. Thanks in advance.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a search on M1031, there is tons of info here. Also, check with CrashAF, I think he has the TM for it.

SledgeHammer

Thanks for the pictures. I would love to find a Milller welder to put back in the truck. I am leaning towards a Smaller inverter welder.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is definately next on my list. If anyone wants to trade one for a freshly painted M1010 let me know!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmmmmmmm, and so tempting Mkcoen! No, I really couldn't, I need mine here at the ranch. It stays here on the property.
But the M1010 makes the perfect hunting rig. It sleeps 4, has heat AND A/C, and there's even a swing out arm on the back to hang your deer/pig/beef from. The only thing missing is the built in beer cooler but I'm sure an enterprising individual could fab one of those easy enough, maybe use the freon from the A/C even.

Matt1031

I don't remember any of our National Guard unit's trucks actually having the welder. Don't know whether it was because we had so few qualified welders or because they took the welders out for some other reason. I did catch a glimpse of one active duty 1031 that was equipped with an XMT 304 (newer version of the XMT 300 that NDT posted earlier).

I've used a Miller Maxstar 200 with mine and it worked like a champ. Only change I plan on making is to swap out the oddball NEMA 18-50 receptacle for a Hubbell twist lock receptacle. I'm OK with 3 phase power for most of what I do.

If your welder won't work on 3 phase 208, it is possible to internally rewire the generator for single phase 240 output. One of the little fringe benefits of having 3 phase power is that there tends to be a much lower demand for used 3 phase only machines on the used market. You can usually buy a used 3 phase only welder at a much lower price than comparable single phase equipment, because none of the home shop, or "hobby" weldors will want it.

mr.travo

Mine has a Miller in it. I will look at the Model number and post it up. It could of been up to the unit to order a welder for these trucks. You never know. These trucks were outfitted for different mechanics and some versions didn't use them. It just my guess. My first unit still had the 1031's but they were getting phased out. Miller just might be the brand that was offered in the Fedlog system for order. You know the government deal, pay twice as much for an item because they offer a "warranty". LOL!

Hey Sledgehammer- were you ever in 3rd ID? Just wondering because I did both of my deployments in 3rd BDE. Just wondering.

Travo