• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Contol Box in M809 series (XM813) woes

CGarbee

I fried a control box in my XM813 the other day (not a big deal, AMGeneral was with me and we turned the knob on the injector pump and pull started it with the duece tanker and I made the five hour ride home no problems) and got to wondering who had them in stock for a good price?

I talked to somebody (can't remember who, I talked to a LOT of folks) at Aberdeen this past May who said that they had a bunch of them for a much better price than I had gotten my last one for...

Asside from getting a new box and replacing the dead one, it looks like I'll have to replace the lock nut on the Bendix plug that screws into the bottom of the box. The nut was split in two and had allowed the plug to back out, so I'm thinking that the box got fried from the electical spikes and intermittant power flow as the thing came out. "Tanner" is helping me get a new plug into place.

I'm going to open up the two dead control boxes I have... I'm interested to see what they look like inside and if I can repair them...

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not sure what a good price is, but Winslow has some boxes for the 809's and 939's. I bought a 939 box from him a while back.

The biggest problem with the boxes is moisture intrusion around the seams and of course, vibration. I opened the one that died on my 923A2. It had 2 heavy duty solenoids and an electronic circuit board. The solenoids looked like they could be sourced from a electric supply place. The board could probably be repaired by your local electronics repair shop so long as it's not fried beyond hope. I think my problem was a lazy solenoid. If your plug was working in and out it could have shorted the board.

CGarbee

I just received an article on repairing the 809 series boxes from Wayne "papercu" that list parts numbers and suppliers for the pieces inside.

My understanding from reading the article is that the 800 series boxes didn't have an electronic circuit board in them instead having a plate with a contactor, a diode, and two relays...

I have a feeling that I was running a 900 series box with the circuit card in it...

I'll let everyone know what I find out as I'm going to tear into mine this weekend... I've got two boxes to play with.

papercu

black box

article on repairing the 809 series boxes from Wayne "papercu"
All the credit for the article berlongs to John Hutterer and Military Vehicle Magazine (April 2004 page 100). I just had the copy close by. Wayne