• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Convert CUCV to 12v pro vs. cons?

medrod2006

Hey guys I was wondering if I should keep my CUCV 24v or just convert it to a complete 12v. Its an 84 and I just got it so I am fairly new to the whole vehicle/system also if I do convert it how much work am I looking at?

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would you convert it? In stock 24v format it works preaty well. Do you know how to comvert it?

If you do a 12v conversion, please use the Rosscommon Equipment Company method. It is well documented and works. You can also restore it back to 24v easily. We have discussed it many times.

If you do your own, then you will be on your own as far as troubleshooting any future issues.

Weekly I help someone with an electrical issue. With it being stock I can look at the wiring diagrams and 98% of the time tell them what to look at and fix.

A converted system, it is a shot in the dark.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why?

sandcobra164

About 98% of the truck is 12 Volt already. I do recommend removing the resistor from the firewall behind the air cleaner and supplying the glow plug relay with 12 Volts off the main 12V bus on the driver's side of the firewall. Other than that, I'd leave it alone.

Matt65

Maybe you want to convert it to 12V to be easier, simpler, or common to other civilian vehicles? Maybe because the truck is new (to you), and you have not familiarized yourself with it yet?

Do not be concerned with the stock 12/24V electrical system. Most that are have never read the TMs, or remotely attempted to understand it. Is it different?, yes. Complicated?, absolutely not using the TMs, and this forum. I have come a long way since buying mine. Learning and understanding it has actually been enjoyable.

As stated before do the resister bypass to the Glow Plug relay, leave the rest alone.

At first the thought of having a 24v/12v hybrid system is overwhelming and hard to wrap your head around. I ended up getting rid of my first M1008 because I wasn't familiar with it and kinda got scared off. But this time around with my M1009 I have a better understanding of it.

Familiarize yourself with how the systems operate individually and how they interact with each other, and you will be fine. A 2000 Civic is more complex... Nothing about a CUCV is that complicated...it's a mid-80's Chevy.

I don't think it's worth it to convert it.

But do some of the popular mods/general maintenance stuff to it (doghead relay/12v glow plug bypass, replace GP's, and the glow plug relay, check the alternators and grounds) and it will be fine.

jeeplvr247

Keep it 24v, it should help you when you go to sell it. I know there are a lot of guys (myself included) that would pay more money for a truck that has the original 24v system.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I replaced the 6.2 with a gas engine I made sure I kept the remaining 24v system intact. I wanted the truck to still be able to perform it's military intended tasks. My starter is a 12v with the 24v solenoid. Works fine.

Attachments

Last edited: