• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting 24volt gauges to 12volt

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I searched and searched this forum but could not find a related post.

Instead of trying to replace the idiot lights in my M1028, I have decided to leave the perfect-working stock system the way it is and simply add a supplementary temp and oil pressure gauge to the radio plate. I don't particularly care for the looks of the off-the-shelf gauges, but instead would like to use new HMMWV instruments to maintain the military look. These new HMMWV gauges are readily available, however it is my understanding that they are 24 volt. My question - is it possible to either 1.) - send the new gauges to a gauge shop and have them converted to 12 volt, or; 2.) - use 24 volt sending units from a HMMWV to power the readings?

Question #2 - assuming this can be accomplished, where is the best place to purchase the gauges? I would prefer to purchase them from one of the SS vendors instead of Pbay.

As always, your help will be appreciated.

Mike Gresham
Paris, Kentucky

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wolf, I am not wanting to change a 24v vehicle to 12v. I simply want to install oil pressure and temperature gauges in my M1028 to supplement the idiot lights, and would like to use new HMMWV gauges to keep the military "look". It is my understanding the new HMMWV gauges are 24v. I would like to know how I can use these in my 12v M1028.

Wolf.Dose

I have a problem here. A M1028 (shelter carrier brake code H, max gross weight 10000 lbs (4535 kg)) to my knowledge is a CUCV vehicle with a 24 volt system. According to TM 9-2320-289-20 the electrical system is the same as the M1009. Only the M1010 is different. So with some knowledge of the system, you have a 12 V system and a 24 V system on hand, just care were you take of the voltage. On the connector on the dash, were the fuseable links from Gen 1 go to, you have 12 V and can supply anything from their. If you go to the terminals with the battery link on the far right, there is 24 V.
Hope this helps.
Wolf

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, Your link doesn't work.
Hmm...well this is what I posted:
Pretty sure that the old SW gauges will work. They use two coils to compensate for variations in the supply voltage, the new plastic (Faria) gauges use a Zener diode to regulate the voltage and need at least 15 volts to work. The sending units in this case are "variable resistors" and don't care.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So let me make sure I understand -

I can indeed use new 24v HMMWV gauges, as long as I power them from a 24v source? Am I correct in assuming that the sending units for oil pressure and temperature gauges would be standard civi 6.2?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After thinking through how this could work, the 24v gauges would need to be powered up with the ignition. So I guess I would need to ignition-power a 24v volt relay to power the gauges. Easy enough. Now I just need to figure out how to supply the temp and oil pressure data from the engine.

ryan77

Use the 24 volt feed for the amp gauge its off the relay and only on when ignition is on!!!!!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the HMMWV gauges you're talking about standard M-series gauges? If so I've got a new oil pressure gauge in the classifieds. I can also get a temp gauge and senders for both.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I am not sure my idea of using HMMWV gauges is a good idea. It just occured to me, are those Faria gauges lighted? If not, I will probably abandon the idea and use off-the-shelf gauges. Does anybody know if the HMMWV gauges are lighted?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they are standard M-series gauges they aren't lighted. They require a separate light to illuminate the gauge through the side windows.

It shouldn't be too hard to make them into lighted gauges though.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everybody for your comments in this thread. After thoroughly exploring the idea of using HMMWV gauges in my CUCV, I am abandoning the effort because of the difficulties of wiring and the absence of gauge lighting.

Instead, I plan to utilize an oil pressure and temperature gauge from Moal - here's a link -

- Moal Coachbuilders -

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks