• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting a Hmmwv to 12volt

ZekeAnderson

Hi,
Im looking into maybe converting my m1045a2 into a 12volt truck, I have had alot of trouble with the alternator, 12/24 regulator and starting box. Have changed the starting box and the regulator once. The new regulator made my alternator smoke badly.. So the trouble just builds up.

Since I live in Sweden there is not shops that can fix the truck and it is hard to get parts for the truck so Im planning to build it into a 12v truck to get better control with the electrics

The plan is to get hold of a Chevrolet Van with the center mounted v8 6,5 turbo and put that engine in. Easier to get parts/electrical parts for those engine also here in Sweden

I know I have to change all the light bulbs also and do something about the wiper motor. What else do I have to think of?

Do you guys think this is doable and a good plan?

Thanks from Zeke

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Certainly don’t replace a GEP engine with a GM engine and certainly don’t use the computer controls the GM 6.5 came with.
Put 12 volt solenoids in your existing injection pump.

whisktangofoxtrot

Blower motor for heat/defrost
Battery voltmeter gage
Temperature gage and sending unit
Fuel gage and sending unit
Glow plug controller
Starter

The one thing you won’t have to change is the TCM for the 4l80e. A universal wiring harness with fuse block might make it easier to just start over with all the wiring

AAVP7

Zeke, I understand your frustrations. Electric gremlins are hard to grasp sometimes.

BUT, there are thousands of Humvees running in civilian hands now, and 99.9 % run on 24 volts, and do so without problems. So your problems can be solved, it´s only a matter of finding the right solution (or the right expert if you are not handy with electrics yourself).

If you try to convert your Humvee to 12 volts, you will have a lot of new problems to solve, and everything on your rig will be custom from then on. No factory manuals, no wiring diagrams, etc.. Most shops will probably refuse to work on your car. I would definitely recommend to stay with 24 volts.

As for a shop: I don´t know any Humvee dealers or shops in Sweden. I know an excellent workshop in the eastern Netherlands Home of the Humvee.nl . They import Humvees, but also do repairs. I know it´s a long ride, but they will surely find your gremlins.

Last edited: