• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting a non-winch to a winch truck

b money

Hello, I don't have a deuce yet but I found one on craigslist that's pretty cheap, only problem is it doesn't have a winch. Personally I think any car or truck that is 14,000 LBS, and is 6 wheel drive should have a winch haha. So can it be done, if so how hard is it too do?

Thanks

x-ray

While winch trucks are very cool, I wouldn't let the absence of a winch prevent buying the deuce if its a good runner, good price and close to you.

I first purchased a no-winch truck, and then wanted a winch in the worst way, I shopped for all the pieces I needed. Then I ended up buying a nice running winch truck on GL for not much more(1.5X) the cost of adding the winch.

I rarely (if ever) need to use the winch. I don't go mudding (intentionally) and use the truck for more or less hauling items or dragging logs on the farm/land/woods. Usually Its someone else stuck and not the deuce - I end up pulling someone else out of the dirt and I can do all of this without a winch by using a tow strap or chain to the bumper.

A winch can be occasionally handy and look cool as **** on a deuce, but don't let a good deuce pass you by because it doesn't have a winch. Adding a winch can be done and its not technically that hard to do, Parts are big and heavy and you will need a buddy to help. You should be ready to also buy or borrow an engine crane to help you do it though if you don't' already - and the overall project cost may be better put towards Deuce #2 - it will likely come to that - ask me how I know :wink:.

To answer your question - Adding a winch can be done (1+ day job for me) and the parts are out there. Several threads on here on how to do it.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Morning, I have a 71 AM General M-35A2 that did not have a winch on it when I got it, Like you I really NEEDED a winch on it. I found a used Garwood 10K PTO driven winch that came with all the accessories including Trans output, shift linkage and frame extensions for 1500$ Its not hard to install, I had lots of cleanup and painting to do on mine but I would say without that part it could easily be done from start to finish in less than a day. Its not hard and the truck looks so much cooler with the winch on it!! Feel free to ask more questions i would be glad to assist any way that I can.
Karl

b money

Alright thanks everyone, i'v already got a cherry picker so no problem there. And I'm not letting the non winch get in the way of really wanting this truck. Jcappeljr- if you where closer I'd probly be interested if I get the truck.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just another bit of info that was given to me when I put my winch on is to put a piece of plywood 1/4 or 1/2 inch in front of the radiator BEFORE setting the winch in place, all it takes is a bump and you have a 500.00 bill on your hads to replace it. Great Luck Deuces most definately ROCK!!!
KK

Heavysteven

I was looking at a non-winch at first. During a preview at a GL lot a dealer convinced that a winch is a must and it's always cheaper to buy a truck with the opitions you want.

After owning my truck almost a year I have only used the winch once.

b money

At first I ws only looking at this truck because it was really cheap(atleast in my mind) at $3000 and i'v been talking to the guy and it sounds like it's the real deal. The more and more you guys say you don't use your winches just makes me want it even more! But I have one major problem: no place to park it

monkster

I put a winch on a non winch truck and the only thing I ran into was wthe PTO drive off of the trans.. The gear lash is set by the gasket between the PTO and the trans housing.

x-ray

No Place to Park! - That was what I thought when I got my first deuce - Necessity is the mother of invention. There is probably a way you can store it -

• A deuce can fit into most driveways - It actually fit in my driveway turn around at an angle - neighbors don't mind, but I have always gotten along with them and offer to haul things for them as a good neighbor. Suddenly a big truck is not so ugly if someone needs to move something heavy.
  • Have any local friends or relatives that can keep it on their property? Make sure you know how to secure it well.
  • You can rent space at a boat / RV storage area. Around my region there are a few places (both indoor and outdoor) that rent space for people that have boats and RVs since some localities don't allow parking at residence. Note this can be pricey. Check to see if the place is insured and if they will let you work on your truck there.
Good luck.