• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

converting an M353 trailer into a tow-dolly

jesusgatos

I'd like to talk about tow-dollies. Thinking that I might want to turn my M353 trailer into a tow-dolly, like Canislupus suggested. I searched for 'tow dolly' and 'tow dollies' but I'm not finding much of anything. Anybody care to share pics or info about converting an M353 trailer into a tow-dolly? Any input regarding tow-dollies in general is also welcome. I don't have a 5th-wheel trailer yet, but would like to buy something that I can haul 40ft shipping containers on (behind my M109).

papercu

Try a different search word, there is plenty of info and some that members have built. I think most are using a M103 chassis, a M353 would set a bit low. Wayne

jesusgatos

Oh rearry? All the military tractors I've seen pulling civilian 5th-wheel trailers look like they sit way high in the front, so I thought the lower deck-height might be desirable. If it's not the right thing to start with, I'll just buy another trailer...

number9

I've been thinking of making a dolly from a M200. I will have a few M105's tomorrow....... be nice if I could mount a 5th wheel on one of those, but it seems most prefer to use the heavier M200. :-?

Has anyone else made one from a M105 other than the one poster from back in 2006?

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have done a m200 dolly and i have a m353 and i can see it would a harder trailer to convert over.. mostly its the frame being to low... that trailer is stepped down to much... the 5th wheel on my 818 is 57 inches off the ground with stock tires.. i put the m200 wheel slightly lower.. thinking around 50 inches so i could pull more types of trailer.. i do think that any dolly is intended to only pull empty trailers or light weights ... that is just my opion Tim

Monty

Oh rearry? All the military tractors I've seen pulling civilian 5th-wheel trailers look like they sit way high in the front, so I thought the lower deck-height might be desirable. If it's not the right thing to start with, I'll just buy another trailer...
The military tractors have a piviting 5th wheel plate (side to side) as well as front to back like civilian semi's. This raises the plate up higher causing some civilian trailers to set tilted to the rear.

Chad

jesusgatos

Yeah, I've seen pictures of those plates, and understand exactly what you're talking about. I was just thinking that a lower frame (maintaining adequate clearance for articulation & turning) might not be a bad thing. But I need to read more about tow dollies in general. I don't know if they're safe to use like I'm thinking I'd want to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks