• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Converting deuce winch to electric

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a spare deuce winch and would like to add a winch to my gooseneck trailer to recover non-running vehicles. I'm wondering what kind of DC motor it would take to power a deuce winch?

I'm also wondering if it would just be cheaper to buy a electric winch?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ehh, with the worm gear reduction, you'd be surprised what it would take. I hooked up a 1/3hp 110 motor to a smallish winch and it would lift 800lbs pretty easy. Anyone know what the gear ration is? I think someone posted the pto has 27ish horsepower output.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be fine Mike except that it is a spare winch and he wants to know what it would take to put it on the trailer. I do agree with you that it works fine if it is still on the truck.

:)

I like the idea of electric over hydraulic to use it or some sort of reduction with the electric motor.

I hope Gimp doesn't try lifting anything around my barn with one of his contraptions.......there's a reason for my sig.

:)

sw

mudguppy

given the winch ratio, worm gear efficency (75% est), and a maximum line pull of 10k lbs at the top layer, it is calculated that it requires 12.12 hp given a 30 fpm line speed.

this translates into 258 - 516 rpm shaft speed at 30 fpm line speed.

also, the required shaft torque will need to be 246 ft-lb (calculated) which is consitent with gringeltaub's observed measurements of 245 - 255 ft-lbs required to shear OEM shear pins.

so if you want to maintain similar performance to the stock setup, these are the spec's you'd need to match.

mudguppy

also, i do think it'd be cheaper to buy an electric winch considering the motor, gear box / reduction, batteries (given the size of the motor), leads, etc. i have a no-name 9k lb on my trailer - and using a snatch block to run most of the cable off the spool, i'd estimate that i have an easy 12k lbs worth of line pull at the end of the trailer.

so if you go that route, how much do you want for your spare winch?

i'm serious...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After hearing the responses, looks like I was right. I'd be better off just to buy an electric winch. I just was needing a winch and I saw my deuce winch setting there and it got me to thinking.

I was just thinking, if Warn could make a winch run off of electricity, so could I. I'm starting to think I could buy a good used electric winch for what just the motor would cost though.

Maddog, I could drive it as designed but the driveline would be complicated. ;)

Kenny, I've thought about a gas engine and I am leaving that option open.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks