• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

converting stock wheels to tubeless

jesusgatos

I just got all my wheels back from the sandblaster, and I'm going to take them to get powder-coated tomorrow (by the way, Les Schab will powder-coat wheels for $25ea). But before I order new tubes, I'd like to talk about whether it might be possible to convert these wheels to tubeless. I know, I know, but it's pretty common for guys to convert mountain-bike and motorcycle wheels to tubeless and don't see why I shouldn't be able to do the same thing to these wheels. Figure all I need to do is cut the valve-stems out of a bunch of old tubes (with a bit of the rubber tube around it) and then glue them into the valve-stem holes in the flaps. Add some sealant during assembly and I ride off into the sunset on my new tubeless wheels. Any reason why this won't work? Has anybody else tried it? I'm still looking into sealants and stuff, and I'll post-back with info as I find it.

KsM715

More than just the spilt is going to leak air. The whole ring will leak unless its completely welded on. But if you do that then how do you get the tire on?

DUECE-COUPE

tubeless rims have a inner rim profile that allows the tire to to move toward the center of the rim to allow the bead to go over the edge of the rim. the split rim does not have this, so it will most likely damage the tire to mount it in that manor

jesusgatos

I don't think you guys are following me. It's probably my fault. What I'm proposing is that we might be able to effectively seal the flap to the inner and outer bead of the tire, so the split ring would be irrelevant.

One way to do this might be to apply some type of silicone (or something better-suited to this application - I don't know what) around the tire bead (on the inside of the inner & outer bead) where the flap would meet the tire once the tire and flap are installed on the wheel. But there's no way to ensure that the flap would seal against the tire, so that might not work.

Another way to do this might be to get wider flaps that would be sandwiched between the wheel lip and the OUTSIDE of the tire bead (this is a really common way to convertmtb wheels to tubeless). That would ensure a good seal between the tire and the flap, but there then there is the potential for the tire bead to chaff the flap, and if that gets a hole in it, the tire assembly would lose pressure. I guess the other thing to consider is whether the tire beads would be able to seat properly with the flap in between the bead and the wheel lip.

Alredneck

Banned
If im not mistaken just the height of the ring on the split rim would pose problems. Deuce-coup is right about the inner profile not permitting a seal as well. Unless im missing something, I am just thinking of mounting like you would a regular tubeless tire and wheel

goldneagle

Tubes also allow you to reduce tire pressure in certain applications without breaking the seal on the tire. You could also have tire failure on the road and the insurance company would love to NOT pay up due to illegal tires. My opinion is you are just looking for trouble!

jesusgatos

Nothing wrong with tubes, but I'm running 11.00 Firestone T831 radials and if I can run tubeless, I'd like to. I appreciate what you guys are saying, and I'm not trying to do anything reckless, but the liability is the last thing I'm concerned about. I've already cut my wheels apart and welded them back together...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know why you're thinking that, but I'm counting on being able to effectively seal the flap to the tire...
.......forget it, that just won't work... and also why do you want a flap at all if going tubeless....!
In order to completely seal the ring to the wheel and also the tire bead where the gap is I would try mounting the parts with plenty of (black) PU adhesive/sealant like sikaflex 221 or equivalent. (see http://domochemica.com/en/index2.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=6&Itemid=36) That stuff is incredible useful and really works! (I don't use O-rings for my custom 2pc TL wheels, for example!)
As for the valve just weld up the slot and install a TL truck type schrader valve instead. (That's what I did with my first 2pc wheels, years ago, w/ very good results.)
Although I've never tried to seal a stock Deuce wheel that way, I did so once with a 20x10" 3pc (lockring type) TT-wheel, to be able to run a15.5 with no inner-tube. Besides typical black fingernails and all the related mess it worked well as expected and held air perfectly. But after all it was only a 1time experiment since they found some nice 1pc wheels shortly after that.
The only drawback I can see is - if we had to fix a flat - it wouldn't be so much the dismounting itself but then thoroughly removing all sealant residue (mechanically only!) before being able to assemble again. And then you "only" have to wait until next day to have the stuff completely cured before airing up....! Kind of risky to continue the trip if you only had that one spare....

G.

jesusgatos

Thanks for posting G. Always appreciate your input. I was trying to avoid relying on a gnarly sealant for all the reasons you just mentioned. At that point, I'd rather just run tubes. The thing that got me thinking about this is the ghetto tubeless conversions that have become so popular with mountain bikers. I was thinking about the similarities between the flaps in our tires and the modified inner-tubes in those mtb wheels. If wider flaps are available, and can be sandwiched between the outside of the tire bead and the inside of the wheel lip, it seems to me like that might work really well. No?

AZDeuce

After reading, and seeing the pictures in the "ghetto tubeless conversions" I guess it "could" be done, but it seems you'd need a $hit load of that latex stuff, and then apparently it wouldn't be a permanent solution as you need to add more latex about every month or so. It might be ok for an off road applicaion, but I wouldn't risk it on the freeway. But that's just my opinion, as I detest lawsuits, and lawyers.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The UPS truck that comes here everyday has 6 lug 22.5 tubeless wheels on it. I don't know where you would get new ones though. That way at least you could run tires that you could get replacements for at any truck stop.