• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Convoy of USMC MTVR's,HMMWV in Jersey 4-1-10

halftrack

"All" of "our" training? Uh, okay, that would be Camp Lejeune, NC, which is only like NJ in that it begins with the same letter.

Closer to NJ would be Quantico, but the training there is a bit more specialized. I asked if there's anything between Lakehurst and Quantico, but no response yet.

I take your post to be argumentative. You might as well say all Marines eat Army MREs: so what?

Heading North on the GSP, away from Lakehurst/Dix/McGuire, on a Friday, suggests they were doing Joint Ops Training hosted by another base. In the interest of killing your argument where it stands, I say they headed to Navahuk Coast Guard Base deep in the heart of Nebraska to do some Advanced Needlepoint with the WACs.

True story.
Nothing argumentative about. Sorry you're having a bad day. Good bye.

pidgeon

Is that a hole cut into the back of that truck (in the second picture)?

And as someone who escaped Hudson County (trust me, it was a lot rougher in the 70s and 80s than it is now) I'm disheartened at how civilized it's become.

civiceg6sir

It wasn't a hole, it was a window type of thing. Another piece of steel slides up and down to open or close the hole. And it was at milemarker 98 to 100 when I saw them heading north. McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst are a joint base now and is south 20 miles and west 10 miles. I know people there and there arent any marines there. But they could be training there because there was a mock viatnamese village there built in the late 60's and I know they built a mock Iraqi outpost also in the last decade. So who knows?

sandcobra164

In regards to the hole cut out in the tailgate, that is useful on an unarmored variant to make sure you're not backing over a car or something. The MTVR's are great and I'm glad I'm young enough to get one in about 30 years when they go on GL. The only shame is that the Army developed this truck as a replacement for the M900 series 5 ton and quit on it right after a production variant was made. Now the Army has the old Stewart Stevenson flat nosed beer truck that is now being re manufactured by none other than OSHKOSH. The Marines got the prize and the Army got the short end of the stick IMHO. How about an MTVR vs FMTV discussion. I'm pretty sure I know how that would end.

rango

On the Marines being in full combat gear in the trucks, that is something the Marines started doing about 20 years ago, I do not know if the army does it or not. If you sre driving a military vehicle, you will be wearing your war gear. That includes helmet and flack vest. My brother in law was a army ranger, and that is one thing he noticed about the Marines, we do just about every thing in combat gear. He told me this years before the first Gulf war. He said if we ever go to war, you guys will be used to wearing your gear at all times., and not taking it off because it is heavy, or hot like my soldiers do. Now, this was back in the 1980s, I do not know how they train now. But it is cool to see a young Marine pull up to one of the shops, just hauling one item in is truck, and he steps out in full war gear.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
yes it is army reg's to be in full combat gear, when i was at knox, my drills would be fully geared up to drive a truck 250 ft

ecupirate

The Army requires everyone in a "tactical vehicle" i.e. FMTV, Hummer etc to wear there Helmet. Unit requirements may differ as as far as going above and beyond but I know we always have to wear our helmet. Sometimes we drive in PT gear but we will have a helmet on....and if you do not have your Kevlar you can substitute a hardhat. Also they are thinking of naming that huge conglamaration of bases up there Ft. McDixHurts. :grin:

slash79

the hole in the tailgate is part of the ladder to climb into the back of the truck, the hole in the bed with the cover is used to store troop seats and bedsides while in a flatbed configuration.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks