• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

coolant heater kit

connectingbar

I won a coolant heater kit a while back and today I opened the crate. I am not sure what this went on but I would love to put this on my deuce. There a tons of parts in there. Hard parts are Southwind heater, fuel pump, (centrifuge ?) control box, all sorts of mounts, hoses, battery plate,matched sets of belts, exhaust pipes and a boatload of small parts,screws as such.

Is there a tm out there for installing it on a deuce? or has someone installed one on thier deuce that has any pics of the install.

wsucougarx

That NSN brings up:

HEATER KIT,ENGINE COOLANT

No fuel pump or any fuel related parts should be in that box.
TM 9-2320-361-20 will have everything for you

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the system installed on my 8x8 (also multifuel engine) and would like to compare notes when you get started installing it.
The centrifugal pump is used in "HI" mode and looks a little different from mine, newer model perhaps.

Does you kit include a battery compartment warmer?

You will need a fuel pump and fuel filter, possibly not included in your kit.

Attachments

Last edited:

cruzinz28

If anyone purchased one of the coolant kits from GL and wanted to sell it or trade it for a Actic Heater Kit for M35A2 I might be interested.

connectingbar

A fuel pump and filter are in the kit as well as a battery warming tray. As far as selling it or trading for a arctic heater kit , I might be intrested. PM me

Otherwise I am still not sure how to hook this up for I am sure that it is not for the deuce but I know that it would work.

M1075

Yep, those are for the M548 tracked cargo carrier, 6 ton. STS should be the manufacturer and the contact no. is probably SP0750-00-M-Q875. I have a packing list showing 94 different parts in the kit. Was your crate 38"x24"x21" about 135#? I sold a few on ebay, but they didn't bring much. If you can find someone to trade you for an arctic heater kit, you better take it.

connectingbar

I will take a pic of the battery tray tomarrow

and yes, the kit is for the 548 a buddy of mine at Ft Drum motor pool said that it will work for the deuce minus some parts required to mount on the M548.

I am torn on if I should trade it for an Arctic kit because it gets pretty cold here in central NY in winter and any thing is hard to start. But I would like instant heat.

If I do use it I have to build an arctic battery box to relocate the batteries to the cab

We'll see

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Connectingbar, keep it! It makes a wonderful project and should keep you busy for months. :)

The starting system on the (an) engine is optimized for room temperature, so it makes good sense warming the engine and batteries before cranking it.