• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant not recovering

Drock

Okay before we start here's all the parameters (M1028,..(Banks turbo),.. (Gear vendors O.D).,.. (31" tires),.. (new all aluminum Rad),..... So the problem I'm having goes like this.. When driven on short trips around town (55-70 MPH), the temp stays between 190°-195° and all's normal. The coolant recovers the next morning fine and the RAD is full. But when going on long 200+ mile trips down the highway (70-80 MPH),it reaches 200°-210° and pushes out about a quart of coolant and can't recover it buy the next morning. After 3-4 days of daily around town driving it will eventually recover & top off the RAD. Also I've emptied and refilled the coolant system several times over the past year, YET I still get a tint of rusty water in the recovery tank. Could this be a symptom of a cracked head, just a blown head gasket, both, Or is this normal and I'm just over thinking it?:cookoo:

dependable

It may be normal, but maybe keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse.

A failing head gasket will sometimes pressurize cooling system and push water out of radiator into recovery tank. I had this on one of my 1028 work trucks this summer. Drove it with the radiator cap off as it got worse, with jugs of water on hand, until I had time to take that truck out of service for repairs.

Drock

Yeah this has bin going on for about 3 months now. I was also theorizing that it mite be RPM related? Perhaps turning too many RPM's on the highway? That maybe going to a 33" tire mite have an effect?:shrugs:

cucvrus

My guess from afar is if you never had the heads off now is the time to do it. Get them checked and freshen up everything. I have been doing it to every CUCV I rebuild for the last 2 years. They all could use some freshening up. Transmissions and transfer cases included. I don't care how low the mileage is. The gaskets and seals are all hard and cracked on everything I see. So as a PM thing now is the time sooner then later. Change the seals/gaskets or change the engine. It won't like the high temperatures for to long. Good Luck. just a suggestion. Nothing more.

Drock

So this problem continues and I'm thinking it's acting more like a cracked head. Only expanding open and over pressuring the cooling system when hot enough on the highway. And not on short trips around town where it doesn't get worked hard or have time to heat up enough. I found a company on Ebay called "BMI" or Bostic motors Inc. They claim to have a new improved Canadian cast head that will solve the cracking problem, but for $620.00 for each head:???:. Have any of you had experience with this company or these heads?

cucvrus

I am still guessing bad head gasket. I have changed a few sets old head gaskets on the 6.2 and sent the heads to the machine shop every time to have checked and planed. I have yet to have 1 that was cracked. Cracked is usually a result of major over heating. If you never major over heated it I think you are good to just have them machine and redone at an automotive machine shop. If you have the heads off have them checked. It will save you the money of the replacement heads. I documented the head gasket changing in a thread and posted it. Good Luck. Do as you want. I still say head gasket only.