• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant type and capacity?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys,
I'm replacing the water pump (stupid thing cracked while driving on the highway), and have a question about the coolant type and quantity.

1.) The coolant that was in the engine is green, but the Caterpillar brand that I bought is red. Does anyone have any experience with which is correct, or better? I'm guessing they can't mix, but now that I have an open bottle of red, I figure I might as well flush and fill with red?

2.) What is the actual capacity of the system? I see a couple different specs, probably because of different models/loadouts, that range from about 7-12 gallons. I just need to know how much to buy.

Thanks!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is green now but have the 11 gallons of the Cat ELC EC1 that I will be changing out in my M1088.
I think I found the correct bolt/plug to drain the block on the passenger side.

Last edited:

Overdrive

I did the swap to CAT ELC coolant when I added my Gen2 AC unit...

Did 3 flush and fills after initial drain of the green stuff before I put in the red ELC coolant. Ran a couple of small bottles of flush thru on first drain/flush.

All drain and fills took just under 9 gallons as well as final fill with ELC. Also replaced thermostat.

OD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks