• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cooling System Service

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the screws holding my radiator shroud on radiator have broken off and the only way I know to fix the problem is to remove my radiator. I have copied and studied the 20 TM section on cooling system maintenance but still have a few questions after searching past posts.

1. Do you have to remove the fan before removing the radiator and shroud?

2. Section 3-41.b refers to the flushing instructions found in the cleaning compound kit. Since I don't have one, is there a section I have missed which provides a step x step instruction.

3. What is the actual cooling system capacity if I drain the radiator and block? I do not have a heater. Also, several posts have referred to air bubbles affecting the refill amount versus capacity. How do you address this?

Thanks,

sp00n

Air bubbles get worked out by running the truck while filling with the radiator cap off. Every so often a bubble will come through the cap and the coolant level will drop. This is applicable for most every car.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
1-yes
2-dunno
3-the block will hold coolant(or water if flushing) I put one gallon of un-cut coolant in and the rest are 50/50. So far I have not had problems. Coolant tests ok with a hygrometer(sp?).

dozer1

RADIATOR QUESTION-------- once a radiator is taked to a shop and cleaned, is it OK to paint it thoroughly, fins and all. I ask because I got mine back from the shop today for my 5 ton, and the black paint job he did leaves a little to be desired. Does the paint stop it from transfering the heat too much or are they just affraid to use a little paint?

Jimma

I think you can paint it okay as long as you dont coat it so think the gaps between the fins are filled and gunked up.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would leave it alone. Any paint put on it will insulate the fins and not transfer heat as well. Will the truck over heat from the paint? I doubt it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks