• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct front bumper step?

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm seeing different ideas on front bumper steps.

There is the "swing-down." I know that had to have been a later mod.

I'm also seeing steps taken from a tailgate and installed under the front bumper. Often on both sides.

What is most "correct?" Obviously the swinging step is, but what about the other method? Acceptable? I'm doing my deuce in a 1971 (Viet Nam era) scheme. Maybe the swinging step wouldn't look right.

Any suggestions or leads on this?

I had no luck with searching "bumber step."

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
clinto,

Thanks! I saw that post earlier, but didn't pop in my search.

I have an NOS folding step. It's ready to install. But, I just noticed a few pics of some trucks with the solid (tailgate) steps mounted underneath. It's a trimmer look. I kinda like it. Cannot decide.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the non-folding one, like is mounted on the tailgate of most deuces. The folding one, to me, is simply too long, and I personally don't like putting my weight on a foothold that swings. It could mean that you can lose your balance on it as well.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the folding step was created for the winch equipped trucks due to the higher bumper height when it is installed for a winch. However they get swapped all the time, either is correct.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "tailgate" type step was the factory step. The swing step was a "add it on later at the unit level" if you want to type of thing.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both are correct as the military uses both. I suggest choosing the "look" that seems best to you. Personally, I like the folding step, but it might not be "correct" for the non-winch trucks. I never thought about that until reading HNDRSONJ's post...but his info sounds right.

BEASTMASTER

the folding step was designed to fold under if should try to climb a steep bank and the bumper hits the bank. the step just folds under without destroying it.you just pull it down when needed.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The PS Monthly shows the tailgate step mounting in a different location than I'm used to seeing. I've always seen them located more towards the outer edges. I like the location the PSM shows it. I suppose I'll install two.