• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

correct manual help needed

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have spent hours looking through the TMs and can't find what I am looking for! Can someone help me? I know this seems simple but I would like to see it in the TM. I am replacing a radiator in my M35A2. I really want to find out if the top mounting link has an adjustment to set the top of the radiator in the correct position. The radiator that I am installing looks too close to the fan blade for my comfort. I wish the TM section on this site had page numbers to assist in finding TMs and I wish I could open them faster too. I have saved several to my computer but I guess I don't have them all saved yet. I hate it when something so simple makes me frustrated! TIA

Jones

How close is "looks too close"? I looked and couldn't find a specific dimn. either 'though there was plenty about shims so that the fan is centered in the fan shroud.
I'd gently push the top of the radiator forward and back to see what kind of movement the bottom mounts allow. If you've got enough then I'd adjust the top support so that you have an equal distance between the fan and the radiator core both top and bottom, so that the fan face is parallel to the radiator core, and call it good.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Emmado, that is what I am talking about. Leonard ,if I cant find a step by step procedure I will just set it parallel to the fan. As it is now, I can barely fit a finger between the fan and the core at the top.There is no way to move the radiator in the bottom two holes. I will measure things better in the am. I just figured there would be a correct procedure in a TM and my attempt to find it has me going nuts!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, Thanks! On this truck I was able to remove the front grill and tilt the radiator forward enough to remove it without removing the fan or anything else behind the radiator. I need to replace the radiator in the other deuce next and that one has a winch (I guess it will be a little more involved). I am surprised there is not a more involved step by step procedure in a TM. Anyhow, Thanks for your help.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found the step by step procedure! It is in TM 9-2320-209-20-3-1 ,in chapter 6. It tells step by step (radiator R&R) but it does not say anything about adjusting the rod! Oh well, I am surprised there is no specification for the linkage. Also, it does not mention if there is anything different needed to do, if the truck is equipped with a winch.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with deuce manuals is there are too darn many for the newer folks to understand. This won't help your radiator adjustment but might help with manuals. Stick with one series of manuals if possible. If there is something you just can't find, go to another series. For the deuce, most online manuals are from the 209 series and 361 series. I would suggest to the new guy to start with the 361 series as there are only 5 manuals. TM 9-2320-361-10 is the Ops manual. TM 9-2320-361 20 would equate to unit service and the TM 9-2320-361-34 is depot or major overhaul. Add a "P" to the end of the 20 & 34 and you have parts manuals. The 209 series has way to mnay volumes for me, fogs up the brain. As far as paper, the folks that have been around a while swear by the TM 9-8022. I rather like the 1965 versions of the 209s which at that time only had 5 volumes. One day when you have little going on, go on a mission to dowmload all these deuce TMs and keep them on a jump or hard drive. Great to be able to open them in a few seconds or less.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I was looking on LOGSA the other day, and I discovered that the 361 manuals have been updated and consolidated. The -10 is still restricted (sigh). The -20 and -34 have been replaced with a 2-volume -24, and the -20P and -34P have been replaced with a -24P. I haven't had to use the new ones yet, but maybe it'll be easier to find stuff now that it's not split up by repair echelon.

Barrman

The 1965 version of the 209 manuals and the 9-8022 that Kenny talked about don't have much more to say about the radiator R&R. I did find it was easier to remove the fan before I pulled my radiator because the winch was just too close not to reach out and punch a hole in the radiator. The manuals just say you need to tilt the grill gaurd forward.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
If anyone has a copy of TM9-2320-235-20 take a look and see what it says. I can't find mine now. This is the -20 for the M35A1.

HTH,
David Doyle

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more question I have that does not seem to be in a TM, do the rubber side flaps on either side of the radiator go over the front (lay flat on the front) of the radiator or do they "tuck in" on the side walls of the radiator? Mine were tucked in on the sides but I put them on the front surface when I reinstalled the radiator. They lay nice and flat like this, and look" right".

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, the updated deuce manuals are on here in the TM section. I don't have any 235 manuals but I do have the 2320-209-35 from '65

jasonjc

nf6x said:
I was looking on LOGSA the other day, and I discovered that the 361 manuals have been updated and consolidated. The -10 is still restricted (sigh). The -20 and -34 have been replaced with a 2-volume -24, and the -20P and -34P have been replaced with a -24P. I haven't had to use the new ones yet, but maybe it'll be easier to find stuff now that it's not split up by repair echelon.
Thats funny I just got a brand new 2006 361-10 and it say DISTRIBUTION STATEMENT A
approved for public release; distrbution is unlimited.
The '88 version was "C".

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Yes, it certainly is silly. Every time I've ever looked at deuce manuals at LOGSA, the -361-10 has been restricted (class C, if I recall correctly), and it appears that it still is. Maybe they figure that the enemy won't be able to drive our trucks without the manual to tell them about the funny shift pattern, and the old -209 manuals are so awful that there's no need to restrict them because nobody would ever consider trying to read them. :)

Srjeeper

Where's the TM's ?

I've been looking everywhere for these three manuals (no CD's) and have yet to find them. To download from this site would mean thousands of pages, and neither my printer or myself are up to that.

TM 9-2320-361-24-1
TM 9-2320-361-24-2
TM 9-2320-361-24P

Ckecked all the usual E-Bay sellers, Googled, and asked around with no solid results.

Now It's time to call in the SS's help.

If these are now where to be found, what would be the next newest addition to start looking for.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.........

Bill

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Where

Bill,
Give Dennis Spence at Portrayal Press a call. These may not be on his website or in his catalog - but he does have many manuals in stock that aren't.

HTH,
David

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Where

I doubt that you find them in any format other than PDF. I would think that the aging deuce in combination with the prospect of a paperless military would make this a PDF only.