• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Could a muffler cause more smoke?

chicklin

So, one of the first mods I've done to my truck is to put on a muffler. I was going to use the NAPA 21470 that so many have mentioned, but I had my CarQuest guy cross-reference the part and theirs came up $35, so I decided to give it a go.

I put it on pretty high, towards the end of the exhaust, above the screen guard. I spray-painted it and put on some clamps. It's about 20" long and probably 8" outside diameter. I think it's not a "flow through" muffler as you can't see through it. There seems to be just a thin plate in the center of main pipe that would cause all the exhaust to divert into the perforations around it.

It looks pretty good and sounds much better, but my only question is, could it cause the engine to blow more smoke than before? Honestly, I've only driven the truck a few times so I'm not real familiar with all the sounds, power and smoke, just yet. But tonight, I did notice a light stream of smoke each time I shifted and coming up hills. It's not heavy black or belching, so it's not a big problem. It would make sense to me, though, that if air and exhaust are not flowing efficiently, it could cause less efficient fuel burn, resulting in more smoke, but what do I know? :)

What do you think?

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is too restrictive, yes it could cause more smoke and heat build-up for the reasons you mention. The smoke you mention seems typical for one that is not turned up. If you are really needing to know, take off the muffler and try the same acceleration trials to see what difference there is. Turbos are usually considered to be enough of a sound reducer to be acceptable on straight pipes, but many turbocharged farm tractors use mufflers with baffles. If the muffler is big enough to provide adequate air flow even with the baffle, it will not detrimentally affect the smoke/heat/back pressure in the engine.
Regards Marti

chicklin

M543A2 said:
If it is too restrictive, yes it could cause more smoke and heat build-up for the reasons you mention. The smoke you mention seems typical for one that is not turned up. If you are really needing to know, take off the muffler and try the same acceleration trials to see what difference there is. Turbos are usually considered to be enough of a sound reducer to be acceptable on straight pipes, but many turbocharged farm tractors use mufflers with baffles. If the muffler is big enough to provide adequate air flow even with the baffle, it will not detrimentally affect the smoke/heat/back pressure in the engine.
Regards Marti
Thanks for the input. I'm probably being paranoid, but I just thought I'd ask. The noise before the muffler wasn't terrible, but I live in a subdivision near town, so I thought it'd be better to be a little quieter if possible.

Unfortunately, I had to cut the exhaust tip to get it all to work. I'd like to find another one of those so I could easily swap it back on for long trips.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, when I was in the muffler business, we always had that one customer that just couldn't be satisfied. Always claimed that the vehicle just didn't "Sound Right." After putting on a few mufflers at our expense, we devised a plan. We would blame the imaginary noise on squeaky baffles. We would put on one more new muffler but we would pack it with "baffle grease" and advised the awnry customer that it would smoke for a spell. By the time he got to the intersection, you couldn't see the intersection for all the smoke. Thiis method seemed to work pretty good. The boss always wondered how we could go through a 35# bucket of grease in just a day or two. Moral of the story is, yes a muffler can cause more smoke depending on who you got it from. LOL

chicklin

You guys see any problems with the setup I've got there? Muffler too small? Too far up the stack?

It seems to run fine and it's quiet, so I'm happy, but I don't want to be gunking up the motor or overheating the turbo, etc...

bottleworks

chicklin said:
I had my CarQuest guy cross-reference the part and theirs came up $35, so I decided to give it a go.
chicklin said:
Muffler too small?
Can't speak to restriction of your muffler. However, the muffler that CarQuest sold you is not the same muffler that, on here, is considered the "Napa muffler". That one appears to be far shorter. See picture below.

In a quick search of "muffler", I found this info. No need to over pay.

maccus said:
In the picture posted by 5tonpuller you can see the MFGRs part number 21470 which makes it a muffler made by Walker. You can get one from Rock Auto for $44.79. Just go to their site and select part number look up and type in "21470". I have been getting parts from them for years and never been disappointed.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Attachments

chicklin

maccus said:
In the picture posted by 5tonpuller you can see the MFGRs part number 21470 which makes it a muffler made by Walker. You can get one from Rock Auto for $44.79. Just go to their site and select part number look up and type in "21470". I have been getting parts from them for years and never been disappointed.
Thanks for the info. I'll see how this one goes. If I don't like it or I find problems, I'll go that route.

saddamsnightmare

September 23rd, 2008.

I might suggest doing a back pressure check on your stack without the muffler and with it.... That muffler seems small compared to most I have seen applied to deuces, and it may be causing some back pressure increases. Most 4 cycle diesels do not like having their exhausts constricted and may burn out some valves (exhaust). You can replace the tail stack by loosening the top clamp U bolt on the screen guard braket and pull off the tailpipe for replacement.... My LDS465 Normally Aspirated seems to have done well with a 4' stack with butterfly cap, and most of the noise is directed up (along with all the soot). I never figured that the muffler did all that much anyway in noise reduction, considering no deafening on the firewall, cab, fenders or anywhere else on the truck.... Tell the pansies it's a 1965 engine design and just suck up! I've had Ford 239 V-8' in a 1951 F6 Dump truck that made as much noise downhill or up as the deuce does....just don't drive after Midnight or you'll really brown their cookies.

Sincerely,

Kyle F. Mcgrogan

Leave it open!!!

Chicklin,
Your truck looks good. Personally I like the noise of the multifuel and would leave it alone. The full size muffler like bottleworks posted seems to look more OEM than the short style you posted.
Andy

chicklin

Re: Leave it open!!!

Andydieselpower said:
Chicklin,
Your truck looks good. Personally I like the noise of the multifuel and would leave it alone. The full size muffler like bottleworks posted seems to look more OEM than the short style you posted.
Andy
I like the noise, too, but for around town, I'd like to avoid the dirty looks.

chicklin

saddamsnightmare said:
September 23rd, 2008.

I might suggest doing a back pressure check on your stack without the muffler and with it.... That muffler seems small compared to most I have seen applied to deuces, and it may be causing some back pressure increases. Most 4 cycle diesels do not like having their exhausts constricted and may burn out some valves (exhaust). You can replace the tail stack by loosening the top clamp U bolt on the screen guard braket and pull off the tailpipe for replacement.... My LDS465 Normally Aspirated seems to have done well with a 4' stack with butterfly cap, and most of the noise is directed up (along with all the soot). I never figured that the muffler did all that much anyway in noise reduction, considering no deafening on the firewall, cab, fenders or anywhere else on the truck.... Tell the pansies it's a 1965 engine design and just suck up! I've had Ford 239 V-8' in a 1951 F6 Dump truck that made as much noise downhill or up as the deuce does....just don't drive after Midnight or you'll really brown their cookies.

Sincerely,

Kyle F. Mcgrogan
Well, it did make a significant noise difference. What is gone is the high end "popping" you get from the straight pipe. The rumble of the motor, road noise, fan noise, etc. are all still there, but the part that hurts your ears is gone.

I like the stock noise, I'm just trying to be a good citizen since I live in a neighborhood (and I'm on the HOA board, so I suppose I need to try and set a good example).