• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Could use a little advice on an M1028 I may purchase

jpsheerin

I recently won an auction for an M1028. It's an '85 with 86k miles on it, some rust on the body, mostly around the corners of the doors and the drivers side floorboard. Nothing too horrible really. It is coming to me fitted with a plow and toolbox. I expected it to be slow. I took a good look at the truck and knew about the rust, etc. I was generally happy with the truck and planned on bidding 2000$ for it. I won the auction for 2010$.

Today I ran down to the municipal authority that was selling the truck to pick up the title and the manager there offered to let me test drive it, which I hadn't been able to do previously.

Everything was fine until I hit a bump at about 30 and all of a sudden ... I believe the truck was trying to throw me out the window. I have never experienced a shimmy like this in my life, honestly using the word "shimmy" seems inadequate. I now understand why the term "Death Wobble" is used on this site.

It happened about 4-5 times in my 4-5 mile test drive. I brought the truck back to their lot and talked with the manager. I am sure he will let me back out of the auction if I want too.

It felt to me like the rear end was actually jumping off the ground. The truck was bucking literally like it was trying to shake me out the window. I had a friend in the cab with me, and one of the townships workers as well, and they thought it was coming from the passenger side front, I thought it was the drivers side rear wheel. I think whatever was going on was making the entire truck flex.

So.. how difficult is "Death Wobble" to diagnose and fix? For the price should I take a shot on fixing it or walk away?

Thanks!

Jack

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be as simple as worn king pin bushings or wheel bearings, fairly simple jobs. Could also be other worn steering/suspension parts. $2010 is a fair price for a good running M1028 with a plow. Most of them have some rust anyway.
Personally, I'd take a shot at it. Mine was one worn bushing.

Make sure you post pictures, otherwise you'll never hear the end of it!

Cucvnut

dude death wobble will take you 2 hours to fix. its jsut new springs and nylon bushings in in the king pin caps on the knucles of the axle. the spring kit is 25 bucks from ORD its worth keepign the truck and fixing it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks