• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Couple of questions on a MEP831a

ATXKMM

Thanks for the super fast reply DA... well, I will say I'm not surprised, but I had hopes a soft-start addition might stagger the startups enough that it might work. So, you're saying I absolutely must buy another genset? Rats... : )

Placement is an issue for the house I am in so a spot for an 802a is difficult (along with I was hoping to skirt city ordinances etc by a non-permanent installation), but the information that an 802a will start a 3T unit is enough to address the question.

Perhaps the 831a can run a 220V window unit? Anyone confirm? I am sure it's in the ton of threads here, but at this point my brain is on overload and I'm getting old... my memory ain't perfect any more.

A piece of land would maybe solve the issue. So I guess I now have to buy acreage. Hmm... logical thought says- generator proven to be needed, must adjust thinking to fit this line of thinking. OK, convinced. No spouse to object, so the committee agrees!

ATXKMM

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an off-grid property with a camping cabin. There is a mini-split heatpump that the 831 runs beautifully. At my main home I have one of the inverter based window AC units that runs off solar power. There is no starting inrush with either of them.

If you choose the correct equipment you can do a lot with the 831. When I look at the specs for the 22,000 BTU LG Dual Inverter window AC it indicates a wattage of ~2,300w. A 831 can handle that load and since there is no real inrush with those units the 831 should be able to start it OK. That is quite a lot of cooling to be running off a small single cylinder diesel generator.

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, apologies but I am reviving this old thread instead of starting a new one since the subject matter is spot on to see what the result ended up being with an MEP-831a and load.

The recent winter storm in TX has made it clear that self sufficiency is more important than ever. I am as much or more concerned that ERCOT is going to fail us in the end of August, and that my friends will be a different story than a winter blackout altogether.

Has anyone ever determined what LRA an 831a might bear? I have put off getting a clamp meter as this is maybe literally the only thing I might use it for. My hope was that the 831a might run a 2.5ton AC unit with a soft-start setup and very careful management of a router, deep freeze and fridge on a transfer switch I could manage manually (or each is on some sort of battery backup to offset the hard-start issue when power is applied). Any phone/computer can charge via a vehicle if its too close to manage in addition to the four items above.

I haven't gone to try to gather the numbers on the appliances as of yet, and they are all able to be sacrificed if necessary, but if it wont manage the AC it's moot anyway. I figure the deep freeze will have enough thermal mass to mostly just coast along anyway but what do I know...

This AC is 2.5T 30K BTU central system (with gas heat). I could also look to see what I could do to lower the startup current by replacing the fan motors with more modern options perhaps, but the soft-start should manage that for me. Please see the pic below for the data plate.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

ATXKMM

Min Circuit Amps- 17.8@208/230V
Circuit Breaker 30A
Compressor RLA 12.8 and LRA 61.0
FLA adds 1.8

View attachment 830699
as others have stated - i don't think it will come even close, it will handle a 7.5 circular saw, it will not handle a very small 1 hp hand carry air compressor (no soft start). two 1500w space heaters will indicate exactly 100% load (3 kw) on the meter and it has no problems carrying that load (what i used to test the unit when i got it). I do recommend upgrading the controller to the one sold by the guy on this site.

ATXKMM

Thanks DA and gstirling. This real world/practical application information is extremely helpful. I did get one of kklopp's boards when I bought the unit, and also upgraded it. Had hoped to get it installed last weekend but things conspired against me and now hopingot install this weekend.

Much appreciated!

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kevin,

My controller card has the 831's wire numbers listed in small lettering below each terminal on my controller.
All the wires in the 831 have a unique wire number stenciled on them periodically.
To figure out which wire is which you may have to cut the zip ties on the wire harness so you can locate the wire numbers for each of the wires.
Here is a picture of one of my controllers with the wire numbers by each terminal.

20210901_112429.jpg

Last edited:

ATXKMM

Thanks Kurt,

I have everything done except for confirming all the wires go to the correct terminals (I thought I was smart and didnt follow the instructions to the "T" and got myself in trouble with my own system of "lettering"...-->dont expect Sharpie to stay on the Teflon wire sheathing folks<-- ) so I really appreciate that you thought to include the wire designations per terminal. I unfortunately didn't realize it before I installed it and didnt see it from my seated vantage point.

Really encouraged to get this installation completed finally!

Thanks again!

ATXKMM

ATXKMM

Finally got the klopp controller wiring confirmed and genset started last weekend and all seems well. Started it remotely last night and the controller works flawlessly- thanks @kloppk for (1) making the board in the first place, and (2) the help above when I didnt follow directions as I should have... cant recommend the product and support enough!

Now, what to do with the old controller.... : )

ATXKMM

ATXKMM

LOL... I am torn between having it as a backup just in case (i have that n+1 (or more) sickness from working in IT) or offering it up here to someone who needs it, but man, i have to say that this kloppk board is pretty awesome- my SO was less enthralled when I started the genset from the kitchen "oh, yah, cool" but hey, she wont mind having power when it goes offline again in TX this winter or next summer and then she will understand)

Thanks again Kurt!

ATXKMM

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks