• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Couple small leaks need advice

panzerjunky

Hey good evening
I have a couple very small leaks just wondering what they might be

No# 1 right behind the bell housing but before the trany (bottom of truck) there is a small rectangular plate held on by 6 bolts 2 are missing never leaked before ran a short mile and a half tonight to pick up some construction debris and there was oil on the ground below the plate and around the hole where the fording drain plug goes. If I pull that plate to rtv it then replace the 2 missing bolts I wont get drenched with oil will I?

No #2 on the stearing gear again looking up from under the truck there is a what looks to be about a 7/8 bolt with a another bolt in it with a screw slot on the inboard side of the stearing gear what is this and it has a tiny bit of oil leaking around it .
Thanks
Jerry :?:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
The plate with 6 bolts is the service access to the zerk fitting on the throwout bearing. the oil is either coming from an overfilled tranny, or a rear main seal leaking. The second leak may be a leak on the IP that is leaking down onto the steering gear.

Ed

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FMJ is right about the first leak, Smell the oil, you should be able to tell right away if it's gear lube from the tranny or motor oil from the real main. If it's tranny gear lube, you have it too full and it's coming out the input shaft screw back. The tranny should be about 1 to 2 knuckles down from the fill plug (1 to 2 inches). If it is the tranny you should pull that plate off and spray a bunch of brake cleaner up onto the clutch and pressure plate while someone works the clutch for you, because it will be (if it isn't already) soaking the clutch and causing it to slip. The rear main will require you to pull the tranny to fix.

The second leak is a new one to me, but you should be able to track it down easily enough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks