• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Covered dash lights/buzzers

GHall

My M932A1 was rebuilt in '07. On the dash next to the gauges there are the light/buzzers same as for the parking brake and low air but the ones next to the gauges look to have metal caps that are painted OD green so they are not transparent. Not sure why? You can unscrew them and there are bulbs underneath. I'm just wondering if I should get new lenses that are transparent and from where or are the idiot lights deactivated for some reason?

I was also wondering about the etiquette for starting new threads? Should I start a new thread for each different topic or question I have or is there a way to change titles of existing threads?

Thank you for any and all help!!

eagle4g63

Those might be the ones that are like a deuce............the cover forces the light to come out the back so they light up the gauges..........the gauges don't have there own lights in them.

GHall

That makes perfect sense because the gauges glow red at night. I just figured they were back lit not side lit.. thank y'all very much!

1.jpg

2.jpg

eagle4g63

Yeah......those are the dash lights..........best to leave them the way they are.........or at night you will have blinding light coming out of them and none for the gauges:D

Tlauden

Yup, as mentioned above they are exactly like they are supposed to be.

As to the thread question. Its really up to you. I have seen plenty of threads where the OP makes a list of questions and people anzwer, but PLEASE use the search function before asking tons of questions. Most times you can find the topic in question already asked, and then after reading that post if you still have questions add a post and it will bump that thread to the "top" and people will see it

JoeNJ

I just aquired a 85 M923A1, everythings is working fine but I can't turn on the headlights. I looked in the manuel on page 2-110 and it states "Unlock lever must be in UNLOCK position to move main swicth to any position other than BO MARKER" I am sure I am overlooking something simple, but I can't find an "UNLOCK" lever or switch anywhwhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction ? Thanks, Joe

GHall

Not sure about the 923 but there should be 3 levers/switches to the left of the steering wheel by the air filter indicator. The bottom right switch is the unlock switch, hold it up and at the same time move the top switch to the right. The bottom left switch is for the gauge lights.

Ord22

The reason they are painted over because its to keep the glare out of the cab. With those dash lights on, its amazing on how much light you can see in the cab from far away. So, they paint them for cover and concealment.

Kloakndagr

Yeah......those are the dash lights..........best to leave them the way they are.........or at night you will have blinding light coming out of them and none for the gauges:D
Im a new deuce owner, trying to replace the dash lights that have burnt out bulbs. Can someone give me a good replacement bulb number other than #313. Thanks. One more thing, what is the correct TM for the deuce?

Dhallftworth

I have swapped bulbs on my cluster, but the bright at night is still barely lit. I can't see most of my gauges. There is a significant difference between the dim and bright position, but with the red lens cover on it's really dim. If I take the cover off, it's very bright. Is there a happy median that someone has found to brighten up the gauges? I ha the cluster with 2 lights and the high beam light only. The picture is just to show reference of what my gauge cluster looks like.

Attachments

Woodsplinter

Lots of guys have tried different things but I don't think anybody has come up with a good solution yet. I'm thinking about finding a gooseneck lamp to mount on the dash and shine on front of the gauges.

Woodsplinter

Well, its not pretty but it works! I decided to try to light the dash panel from the front and found a company called Pilotlights.net. They sell all kinds of lighting for instrument panels and I bought two 24 volt red post-mounted LED's. ($12.95 ea.) I tried just mounting them directly to the dash panel but the bezel from the instruments stuck out too far and blocked the light. I decided to make two small "Z" brackets out of aluminum, that move the LED's about 1 inch in front of the panel.

IMG_2283.jpgIMG_2285.jpgIMG_2288.jpg

I mounted the lights above the dash panel and ran the wiring behind the dash through small rubber grommets . I connected the grounds to one of the instrument mounting bolts and the hot leads were tapped into the wires running to the existing dash lights. Now when I turn on the dash lights the new LED's come on also. Not a perfect solution but much better that what I had before. The last photo was taken in total darkness.

IMG_2297.jpgIMG_2298.jpgIMG_2317.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks