• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coverting an OA331 starter from 24v to 12v

Barrman

YOu can by having the windings changed. Most any good starter or alternator shop can do it for you.

Is your Gasser running already? I ask because my OA331 starts up with very little cranking. You might be able to get by like it is. I know many people with M715's just use the 24V starter as is when the trucks are swapped over to 12V.

JasonS

To add to what Barrman stated, the 24V starter is compound wound whereas 12V starters are series-wound and will develop more cranking speed. I second having a reputable starter shop modify your starter. I also have a hunch that this is an SAE-style starter and your starter shop may also be able to supply you with a more modern solenoid-engaged starter.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, I'm pretty sure the previous owner of my not at home yet M59 convered it to 12V. They started it with just one battery when Scott went to fetch it!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know mine is pretty slow on 24volt. Don't think 12v would start it. If you don't modify it, I'm sure there are 12v starters for that motor, it was used in civilian applications.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks