• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CQ CQ CQ FIELD DAY

papakb

The newer digital radios suck at "tuning around" when you have to do direct entry for the frequency. Could you be a little more specific? Thanks

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
As a licensed amateur radio operators... We have a LOT of radio spectrum (frequencies / bandwidth) to transmit on. It is a bit interesting that a lot of military vehicle collectors are licensed (HAMS). There are three classes.

ClassExamination DifficultyPrivileges
TechnicianEasy. The course material covers radio basics and safety material. Very simple calculations.Line of sight communications using relatively inexpensive radios. Good for local communications. Entry-level equipment is approximately $200 to $300, although you can spend more. See here for a discussion of how much it costs to become a Technician operator.
GeneralSomewhat harder. More detailed radio material, including some straightforward calculations.Worldwide and local communications. Requires more significant equipment. Entry level equipment starts around $1000. Again, you can spend more! See here for a discussion of how much it costs to become a General operator.
Amateur ExtraQuite difficult—not at an engineering level, but close.Same as General, except on additional frequencies. Also permitted to administer examinations.

HMMWV's and amateur radios kinda go together IMO. Good to have on the road or a rally to stay in touch. Sure there are other modes too. Cell phone, CB, GMRS, FRS, etc.

This last weekend called "FIELD DAY" was like... all hands (hams) on deck operations... so that was a blast. My small manpack and 3 meter whip antenna making contacts to the East coast... NO cell site, NO charges, off grid... just radio to radio and the "sky-wave gods" playing nice.

wa6vvc.jpg

Something to think about :unsure: Could be fun (when not so darn HOT) to have a "Green Truck and Radio Net Rally" and Tan OK too. A day or weekend. Perfect reason to get out, camp out, test out the gear. Tactical operations, on the move, from the field or fixed stations as base op's.

Having an intrest is all one needs. No Radio / license OK ? Roll out / convoy / team up. Just BYOB / BBQ and gear.

Some HMMWV's have turrets, mine has antennas. LOL (no peeking under the seat. RTO protection)

Call home anywhere, anytime, CAMO

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Past Field Days, wasn't able to get out this year due to my business partners death...

Attachments

KS_Patriot

Curious about that 3 meter whip. It was just too damn hot here last Saturday for me to head out and try to rig up the long wire end-fed with the man-packed FT-891. I went battery operated from the home station. Sunday was cooler, so I joined up with my local radio club because we support the Salvation Army, who had brought out their mobile rig for display. Fun stuff. IMG_4106.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks