• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crank pulley and belt replacement?

My m1009 has a bent crank pulley, so I found a new one. I thought I may as well replace the belts, and perhaps even the torsional damper/ harmonic balancer while I am down there. I have some questions.
1. What is the best way to keep the crank pulley from rotating when I try to turn the bolts?
2. The power steering belt was so difficult to remove that I just opted to cut it, and leave the fight to the installation of a new one (I believe I moved it over as far as it can go). I read a thread that suggested the complete removal of one of the bracket bolts. Which one? What is the best way to position my pry bar while tightening? Someone had said that it is possible to pull it tight with a ratchet strap? Thank all of you for all your help.

OL AG '89

Hate to do this, but read the TM......
It is very clear on the correct procedure to replace belts. the -20. The -20 is operator / unit level maintenance level.
I think the -34? the Direct Support (DS) TM will detail the correct procedure to remove the crank pulley and balancer.
The balancer replacement is your choice, to replace or not.... If it's not working properly you would know it by the way the engine is running. They are not expensive and I guess would be one more item to check off the list in regards to a 25 year old vehicle....
Have you found the downloadable TM's on the site?

I have read the tm's. (unit and int.) The unit manual simply states "remove four bolts" but doesn't address the issue of bracing the pulley so it doesnt turn as you attempt to loosen the bolts.( I dont want to damage anything) As for the power steering pump, the manual does describe the use of a pry bar to bring tension into the belt, but doesn't describe exactly how, aside from bracing off the block, and only pushing on the mounting bracket. I just am fishing to see if anyone has any crafty solutions.

BIG_RED

I bet you could hold the balancer from turning with a big flathead stuck in the timing mark leaning on the frame. Also i have lots of old serpentine belts kicking around that i flip outside-in and wrap around stuff that I don't want to turn. Then you grab the excess belt with your hand and squeeze to tighten the belt around the balancer, pulley, etc. I would wd-40 (or similar) the bolts the day before.