• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Creosote?

svd dragunov

svd dragunov

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sure seams like an easily renewed fuel source.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tell everyone I can burn anything in Deuce, including small furry animals. Just change the primary to remove the chunks.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here too.

I just can't imagine finding a source or situation that would warrant it's use, to even make this subject worth the time to discuss it.

M715VFD405

I agree DH unless you highjack a rail tanker or its end of the world as we know it kinda stuff and you ran across a tanker load of it as for buying it ..... not gonna happen anywhere I know of....

svd dragunov

I agree DH unless you highjack a rail tanker or its end of the world as we know it kinda stuff and you ran across a tanker load of it as for buying it ..... not gonna happen anywhere I know of....
Not to mention there are much better options out there. Pretty much general consensus. "yes you could run it" but it would be the absolute last/have no other option choice of fuel available.

although i did find an article saying it was found in fuel oil. and fuel oil is listed as an emergency fuel for the m35a2.

"Coal tar creosote is a brownish-black/yellowish-dark green oily liquid with a characteristic odour that is obtained by the fractional distillation of crude coal tars. It consists of a mixture of several hundred, probably a thousand, chemicals, but only a limited number of them are present in amounts greater than 1%. There are six major classes of compounds in coal tar creosote: aromatic hydrocarbons, including polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and alkylated PAHs (which can constitute up to 90% of creosote); tar acids / phenolics; tar bases / nitrogen-containing heterocycles; aromatic amines; sulfur-containing heterocycles; and oxygen-containing heterocycles, including dibenzofurans. Coal tar creosote is a genotoxic carcinogen whose a threshold concentration has not yet been determined.
Coal tar creosote is used as a wood preservative and water-proofing agent for structures on land and in marine and fresh waters as well as for railway crossing timbers and sleepers (railroad ties), bridge and pier decking, poles, log homes, fencing, and equipment for children's playgrounds. Non-wood uses include anti-fouling applications on concrete marine pilings. Creosote can be a component of roofing pitch, fuel oil, and lamp black, and is also used as a lubricant for die moulds. It is also used as an animal and bird repellent, insecticide, animal dip, and fungicide. The majority of creosote used in the European Union (EU) is for the pressure impregnation of wood. In the USA and many other countries, the use of coal tar creosote is limited to certified applicators.
Creosote-treated wood does not decay in the environment, and therefore its disposal is problematic. Creosote-treated wood should not be incinerated under uncontrolled conditions, as toxicants such as PAHs and halogenated dioxins and furans may be produced".

Last edited:

Carlo

Well said. For a second I was thinking this in my head like a end of the world film! haha

wb1895

Hey guys, I know that we are all tired of reading the same old thread about different fuel sources, or end of the world, or zombies, or I checked the TM but didnt find the answer. But, I think we need to keep in mind that just because we have read these threads a thousand times, ALOT of the newer guys have not seen or heard of this stuff before. Lets face it the search function on SS is not the best in the world, and usually does not provide the answers people are looking for, hence the reason for new threads. I believe that the OP in this thread was not talking about squeezing railroad ties to get the "fuel" out of them, but he was asking about a THIN ceosote based fuel that may or may not have been manufactured.

Lets try to cut these guys a little slack before we start making fun of them.:soapbox:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks