• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crew cab deuce

brpman04

Hello guys i need recommendations on a duece builder. I want an a2 bobbed and with a crew cab. I Cant find any builder that will make a duece a crew cab for under 22k and thats a little salty for my taste. I live in pa ,Any and all input would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brpman04

I see the appeal of a crewcab, but why lose an axle?

Edit - and welcome!
Thank you! Yea, thats a hard choice to make lol I've been on both sides of the fence about it and not 100% sure i want it bobbed. But i know i want a crew cab for sure just cant find a builder that doesn't want an arm and a leg to do it. I want to rip up rausch creek so bad with a duece haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m715mike

To bob or not to bob

brpman04 - Sorry, when it comes to recommending a builder, I am no help. However, there are two crewcab Deuces in my neck of the woods and a 5-ton that may offer some perspective on the "to bob or not to bob" debate.

First, in my opinion, "bobbing" refers to (i) shortening the frame of a truck and (ii) removing one rear axel. Others may define the term "bobbing" differently.

For comparison, this first truck has a full length frame (i.e., not bobbed by my definition), but only has one rear axel. The original bed on this truck was shortened and reinstalled.
050617 Crew cab.jpg

The next truck also has a full length frame (if I remember correctly) and only one rear axel. A M105 bed was used on this truck.
IMG_3372.jpg

For grins, here is a 5-ton crewcab with two rear axels. This truck started life as a M931 tractor. The frame was not shortened during the crewcab build.
Crew Cab - Two Axel.jpg

Personally, I like both looks -- either a 6X6 or a 4X4. In my opinion, a bobbed (i.e., shorter frame) crewcab M35A2 will leave very little space for a bed and may make the truck look disproportional. If I were to go this route, I would keep the full length of the frame, regardless of choosing two or three axels. But that's just my 2cents...

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M35A3 that would be a good candidate and know some guys that did it to a 923 I sold them. With the second cab, which could come from a 939 series plus an M105 bed, it would make a sweet ride. Depending how much you want to do yourself, paint, finish, hydraulic accessories, the price could be very reasonable.

This A3 has a newly rebuilt tranny to be installed with a tranny mounted PTO and pump (was planning on front blade and other hydraulic accessories). Have (5) new 395's to mount on the A3 wheels, including the spare, if 4x4. I have 2 new front seats (looking for passenger base). The rear would be custom.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many deuce crew cabs use a wider 939 series cab? Wonder how many are made from scratch?

I was convinced to use a "HET style" for a top, before thinking of crew cab. That style would allow to make a nice roll cage, then cover it. Maybe put a work platform or some fold up sideboards on the top for that Jed Clampit look.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Less weight, less complexity, less to maintain...lots of positives.
You forgot lees traction. Most of the bobbed deuces that play with us at Haspin can't go where the 6x6s go.

I'd love to build one to drive around town(and off road occasionally) but after seeing how they perform offroad, I kinda lost interest.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, was it Doghead that was talking about mating the 939 and deuce cabs? Did anyone ever post up pics of doing CC that way? Do you know who might have a nice 939 series tub with good doors and windows?

I was just eyeing the A3 for leaving the rear axle in place fabbing air ride, keeping the dog bones but making it 4 link with a healthy Watts link behind the rear end. I'm not going for the off road as much as on road to need the extra axle.

The original deuce bed is then freed for a dump trailer (as I originally planned) too.

I'll have a nice set of A3 wheels and 14.5 tires, ready to roll, surplus to sell and hopefully defray some cost. Someone with 11.00 rears on a deuce could use them on front for wider and float tires.

iwantmud

As somebody that has built a crewcab deuce(mine is the Spartan truck), my recommendation is don't. Its a pain in the ass. There is a reason why you cant find someone that will build you one for cheap. Between pie cutting the floor, lining the cabs up, making the roof, making the new floor, etc. If you really want one I would sell you mine for $34,000.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks