• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crooked Steering Wheel

niferous

I want to run this by some of you before I go spend money on an alignment. As everyone knows I just got the truck running and driving good and I am trying to get it inspected hopefully tomorrow morning. The only thing that is strange about the ride is that the steering wheel is really off and the truck pulls to the right when I let go of the wheel. I would say the Chevrolet logo is tilted about 30 degrees to the left as I'm going straight down the road. Also I have noticed after driving through dirt that only the inside of the tires are really grabbing the road. So all indications (at least for me) are pointing towards the alignment being off. I just didn't want to take it in and have someone tell me I needed a new tie rod end as that's something I would try to do myself. Is it common for these trucks to need alignments right out of DRMO?

91W350

Try swapping tires from front to rear or side to side. As strange as it sounds, I have been through the bad tire routine before. On the steering wheel, 87 was way off and it turnes out that somebody had removed the steering wheel and had it badly off the original marks. You also might take a jack and jack up each front wheel, make sure you do not have a caliper hanging up....or a bad bearing. WHile it is possible that you need an alignment and you may have a bent tie rod, these things are very strong in the front end.

rlwm211

steering wheel not straight

Hi; This is an easy vehicle to do an alignment on by yourself. There is only one adjustment on the actual alignment and the other is for the steering linkage. Before you actually do an alignment yo need to see if your pull is due to a dragging disc brake or a bad wheel bearing. I will add that if you are not comfortable doing front end work on your truck then take it to a shop for this. If you do not mind getting your hands dirty and you have some abilities in repairing things, then proceed with the next steps.

1) Jack up the front end and put it on jack stands for safety. Check to see if both front wheels actually have the same resistance to turning. If they do not, fix that first whatever it may be. Also check and make sure your wheel bearings are ok. There should be no slop in the bearing and the hub should not move on the spindle at all. I have found that when I get a pull it is usually due to a loose bearing allowing the wheel to track offline from the desired alignment. Check and make sure the tie rod ends are tight and do not have any play left and right. The lower ball joint is also a problem on these as that will cause wandering when you drive it and also a pull. Use a prybar to make sure the knuckle does not have any play at the bottom forward and back on the ball joint. If all is well, or after you fix whatever is not right, you can proceed to step two which is actually setting the alignment.

2) I generally find a nice smooth dry paved parking lot but also have done this at home. You will need a helper for this too. You need to scribe, or mark a reference point on your tire in front and in back where you can get a measuring tape through. It is not as easy as it may sound as the rear of the differential is in the way. I have jacked up a tire, spun the wheel and made a mark with alight colored marker, or have also put masking tape on and marked that. Once I have two marks on each tire that I can measure and compare, I carefully put the vehicle back on the ground and roll back about 12 feet and back forward the same. This allows the steering to assume its "normal" position moving forward. With your helper carefully measure the distance between the front marks and then between the rear. The toe-in (narrower in front than the back) should be between 0" and 1/8" . (Radial tires like 0") Once you have figured out what your setup has and it does need to be adjusted then loosen the bolts that clamp the adjusting sleeve on the connecting tierod assembly that runs between the left and right sides and then turn the adjusting sleeve carefully a little at a time as one whole turn is about .5 inch. Repeat the moving the vehicle thing after you make an adjustment to make sure the setting is what you want and once it is where you want it to be, lock it down.

3) Your sterring box is connected to the left front knuckle by a drag link which is adjustable. Park the vehicle with the wheels straight and the column unlocked. Loosen the clamp that locks the adjusting sleeve in place and turn it in or out until your steering wheel is where it should be. Again, small amounts of adjustment will yield large changes in where the wheel is so work carefully. Once you have the wheel straight you tighten the bolts that lock the clamp and you are done. The torque spec on the adjusting sleeves is 40 ft lbs on the clamp bolts. You may have to spray some penetrating oil on the threads to loosen things up a bit. PM me if you have any questions.

rlwm211

I would add that the steering wheel cannot be put on in the "incorrect" position. It is keyed and can only go on properly one way. Chances are that something may be bent in the linkage if it is fresh out of DMRO. They would not ever manhandle anything that is for sale now would they? can you see the sarcasm in my question?????

REGULATOR

And this is why I read evry CUCV post I can..

good stuff, so if the wheel is straight but has a LOT of play in it is it normally the steering arm that is bad?

rlwm211

I have been driving V series GM products for many years. If the vehicle tracks straight, and there is significant play in the steering wheel, check the tie rod ends on the drag link. I just had a smilar problem with my 3/4 suburban and it was the worn tie rod ends on the drag link. Again, you have to set the steering wheel as I described above after you install the new parts. I have tried counting threads and measuring, and inevitably, you have to simply "adjust" the drag link with the vehicle pointed and travelling straight. Remember to leave the steering column unlocked. Ask me how I know that one......
If the tie rod ends are "good" then you have to determine what is causing the play. Rarely, the steering box is the problem. On the Saginaw reciprocating ball steering box the allen screw and nut on top DOES NOT adjust the preload. Tighten that too much and you will ruin the box. It sets the "over center" preload which is the ease in which the steering wheel can be taken out of center and how fast it returns. That is a subject for another day. 9 times out of 10 it is tie rod ends or some other problem that causes steering sloppiness in the solid axle 4x4 GM vehicles.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may also want to check the frame where the steering box attaches, they are prone to cracking.

91W350

When I pulled my steering wheel on my 1987 to replace the ignition lock, the wheel was turned from the fatory mark. I aligned the marks and the wheel is straight with the truck. I do remember seeing GM steering shafts that were keyed or had a wide space in one area if you will. My 87 is not that way.

rlwm211

I recall that there is a spline and a wider splined section that is essentially missing a notch. It would be easy to install a steering wheel in the wrong location. The tilt columns are a bit more difficult to misalign than the non tilt columns.
If you suspect that your wheel is incorectly clocked, you need to turn the wheel from lock to lock, and count the turns. From one end or the other, turn the wheel half the number of rotations to find the center and then you will know if the wheel is clocked wrong, or else the connecting link is not appropriately adjusted. Having driven a vehiclke that was grossly out of adjustment in this regard it becomes obvious when your turn circles are considerably different travelling in one direction as compared to the other.
The Unit Maintanence Manual
TM 9-2320-289-20
is very helpful and is located in the reference section of this site. It also has comphrehensive instructions on performing an alignment much as I have described previously.

REGULATOR

thats good to hear..

for the brief period I got to drive mine down the highway I had the 2-3 inches of play in the steering wheel and the truck was all over the road...

so I'm sure I'll be fixing and adjusting several front end components, if I can keep the thing runnign for more then 5 miles at a time

Cucvnut

So i just got my truck on the road yesterday and it pulls to the right like mad its very annoying. its getting an alignment next pay check.

niferous

my mechanic said they are somewhat of a B*&%# to align....
I don't understand how. They only have one adjustment! I took it to a local place here in Houston and the guy said it was very easy. They even charged me a little less than normal since he didn't have to do that much.

rlwm211

There is truly only one adjustment on the alingment on these trucks

Toe In.

Camber and Caster are not adjustable and you can see if there are any major defects by looking for anything that is not like the other side.

Check out my previous post or go and download the TM for this truck.

Knowledge is the key to ease of maintainenece and operation.....