• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cross country nOOb?

Franc Tireur

Ok, so I found a vehicle out west and am thinking of driving it back to PA. Shipping is running just over $4,000.

I know nothing about trucks, but I plan on getting the truck checked out before I leave. Trip will be solo.

Am I nuts, and if not what should i do for breakdowns, fuel, and truckstops? Or should I just ship it?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What vehicle is it? Did you buy it surplus, dealer, or private sale?

The answer to these questions will be a pretty good indicator if this trip will be bearable or a total nightmare. The reason I say bearable is because although some people relish the task of driving a MV across the country, I do not.

KsM715

If you plan on spending 4 grand for shipping or somewhere close to that for fuel, hotels and food. just ad that to your vehicle budget and find a nicer one closer to you.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
If you plan on spending 4 grand for shipping or somewhere close to that for fuel, hotels and food. just ad that to your vehicle budget and find a nicer one closer to you.
I agree...if someone GAVE me...say a deuce...in say...Colorado...it would cost more to get it home than I can get one here for!:shock:

I have a simple formula...I look at what I am willing to pay for an MV...what I think it's worth...then I add in my time and what I would charge a complete stranger to transport it.

I usually pass...unless it's something special I can't find closer.:)

RodUSMC1962

Bad idea to go alone especially if you don`t know anything about what you want to drive home. Plenty of good deals right now in Pa. Lots of bad things can happen on any trip.:beer:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boo to the nay-sayers!! What a better way to enter the hobby than full speed ahead!!!

Do your home work, get yourself prepared and have some back up contingencies in place.

Also, keep track of your expenses, starting from your preparation expenses, to see what part of the 4G you actually save. My guess is at least half.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Rick

DeucesWild11

Yeah get one in PA, plenty of them around in this area, I know Kenny at Kublos has like over 100 trucks on his lot. Plenty of other good guys around too. Check out the classifieds here as well!

randini

One thing to remember, is that the west is a lot prettier than the East! HAHA! I would not want to pick-up an unkown 7ton, 40 year old truck, then drive it cross country. You know that I say that, maybe I would... It could be a great adventure, but if things go bad, it could be really bad. Either way, it could be a he11 of a time!

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you plan on spending 4 grand for shipping or somewhere close to that for fuel, hotels and food.
...and easily a few more grand if something significant goes wrong and you need a long dostance tow, major parts, or a ride home.

Search around on the site for dealers near you. Also keep checking the classifieds, eBay, Craigslist, and MV magazine ads.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You made mention of not using a chase truck? I would not even consider the transport without one. We spent the whole morning chasing down parts to get going by early afternoon with the chase truck. Would have been doomsday using the CUCV or the Deuce for the 'hunts'.

Might want to try and get something closer to you as most everyone else mentioned.

i checked out kublos seams like a pretty good deal 4500 softtop no bed cover he gives a warrenty u can add a hard top or winch dropside bed and u will safe a ton on fuel he is in pa just south of the ny border neer binghampton....i kno its more then gl but there is no gamble here

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I agree...if someone GAVE me...say a deuce...in say...Colorado...it would cost more to get it home than I can get one here for!:shock:

I have a simple formula...I look at what I am willing to pay for an MV...what I think it's worth...then I add in my time and what I would charge a complete stranger to transport it.

I usually pass...unless it's something special I can't find closer.:)
Wish I knew this formula ahead of time.

Mine has been, ooh I like that, get Papabear to haul it back for me. :mrgreen:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i checked out kublos seams like a pretty good deal 4500 softtop no bed cover he gives a warrenty u can add a hard top or winch dropside bed and u will safe a ton on fuel he is in pa just south of the ny border neer binghampton....i kno its more then gl but there is no gamble here
U is spelled you

FROM the SITE RULES
Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Wish I knew this formula ahead of time.
Mine has been, ooh I like that, get Papabear to haul it back for me. :mrgreen:
Hey wait a minute now...I thought you were satisfied with my transport prices??:shock:
I only charged you double the normal rate instead of triple!:beer:
Jeeze...try ta please some people........

Attachments

DeucesWild11

:ditto:

I would go with Kenny at Kublos knowing what I know now about Deuces.. I rather spend a little extra $$ upfront then get stuck out on the road somewhere..