• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cruising RPM

rdixiemiller

What RPM does everyones truck like to cruise at? Mine really likes 2000 RPM. It feels like I really have to get on it to cruise at 2500, but it will run down the road all day at 2000.
2000 feels like it is at a sweet spot in the torque curve.

Anyone have a torque curve for the multifuel?

rdixiemiller

Sounds a lot like mine. 2000 to maybe 2200 is easy cruising. I just didn't know if mine was different from everyone elses trucks. Mine is running 1100R20 singles, so I thought that might be the issue.

Desert Rat

Mine loves 2450. 2500 and she seems to strain, 2300 seems like she's wanting to drop to lugging around 1900 quickly. Now that Ken here in Houston is helping me I'm sure her characteristics will be changing. Updates soon.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2200 on up is good, ran it to between 2700-2800 on a flat road before. Somewhere over 63 mph. Stock fuel settings(for now!) Really seems to take off over 2400 rpm.
Dennis
________
Buy roor bongs

Last edited:

rdixiemiller

I was wondering about cruising speed. On the multi fuel engine, do you want to keep the hammer down and sit on the governor? A detroit likes to be driven that way. Some others do not. I don't want to kill my engine by either staying too low, or by revving too high. My deuce just seems to like 2000-2100 rpm. Of course, that might just be my perception of the engine sound.

Desert Rat

Robert,
Multis like to be run hard but not maxed out. This is how a rod can be thrown or other nasty things. I stay about 150 to 250 rpm from top end because I want to have a cushion for going down hill and not stress out the drivetrain. It's also tough on bearings and bushings going full tilt. And finally the better fuel milage is found in the lower rpms.

rdixiemiller

Rat
That was kinda what I thought. I never like to run things to the red line either. In my younger days, the red line was a starting point......
But I am older now, and have bought some expensive lessons.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The multifuel is rated for continous duty and can run at full power output for ever and a day. That's the military of the 1960's. The new engines are not rated for continous duty. I may be sticking my neck out here, but that from some research I did a few years ago.
My Multi loves it at 2,500 rpm and can go all day that way. It lugs at rpm's below 1,500 or so depending on the load.

Low-Tech-Redneck

Seems happiest at 2200 - 2300, though at 2000, and in 3rd, it'll roll up an 8% grade without a problem, doesn't feel boggy untill you go below 2 grand

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I keep it at 1800. Fuel cost too much to run it that fast! I like to keep milage in the double digits. It hums right along at 1800 without lugging even with 8 yards of wet sand in the bed.

Monster Man

wow, mine really hates speed I guess. I'd say it would cruise perfect in 5th at 1600 RPM (assuming flat ground). 1800 cruises nice, and 2000 it gets a little bumpy. It'll drive up to 2800 RPM, no prob, but there's no way I'd want to "cruise" it there! :lol: Back from Idaho I kept it at 1900-2000

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran mine about 2400 to 2500 the whole way. Runs at about 54 MPH. The fuel mileage suffers though. On a previous trip I ran a few segments at 52 MPH which is about 2200 to 2300 and the increase in mileage was significant. I was on a schedule so I ran it a bit faster this time. I have no problem taking the thing up to 2800 so I have to be careful or adjust the governor. I keep it like this in case I need to get out of somethings way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks