• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV alt

mspector4235

I'm trying to figure out what makes an "isolated" ground. The guys at the alternator/starter repair shop didn't put one in my passenger side alt that I had repaire/replaced. Now I can't hook up the "positive" 24v ground to it without it arcing out.

aboonski

Isolated ground means that the body of the alternator is not a part of the grounding circuit. The alternators that are used for the CUCV have another way of running the ground through a separate wire which will be the negative side of the alternator. You may want to change the place you are dealing with if they do not know what an isolated ground alternator is!

CCATLETT1984

You need to go to a different alternator shop, its just putting fiber washers in a few places inside the alternator during assembly. This is not a "rare" thing for shops to do for equipment and trucks.