• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv alternator

nokia

hi
this is first time post thread
i bought a cucv truck from an auction with driver side alternator is missing
i check with all GM and chevy parts dealer in my city they got only civilian version like 10si and so
can i do modification to these alternators to be suitable cucv version
thanks

phil2968

From the wiki at the top of the cucv forum.

The passenger side alternator MUST HAVE an isolated ground. The driver side does not. An Autozone part number for the DRIVER side alternator is DL7157 (also found in a 1975 Cady with a V8 engine). This alternator is 78 amps and works just fine. You MUST have an Isolated Ground Alternator for the passenger side. Ebay,www.saturnsurplus.com, and many other places stock this alternator.

NAPA has a remanufactured Isolated Ground Alternator, part number WIL 90014277. Wilson Alternator rebuilds them. Cost ~$220. Just make sure you test the alternator before you install it. They have had some issues with the rebuilds of NOT being isolated grounds.

tim292stro

Isolating a ground without factory parts is possible, but you need to know how alternators are built.

The portions of the circuits that need to be isolated are:

• The stator windings
  • The diode trio pairs (what takes the "alternating" power created by the stator and turns it into DC
  • The regulator
  • The field winding (in the rotor, powered by brushes on the alternator shaft at the back of the case).

Normally the lower 3-diodes are pressed into the case or a cooling assembly, if this assembly can be isolated from the case, you have an isolated ground there. The stator coils connect to the diodes and are covered in an insulating varnish. The voltage regulator mounts to either the case or to the upper (12V out) diodes and lower ("gnd") diodes there is an ignition power supply to enable the regulator as well as a charge lamp connector for the alternator that only connect to the regulator - thus if the ground of the regulator is on the isolated lower diode trio mount, it is also isolated. The field coil typically gets positive power from the upper diode trio (12v out), and it is controlled by regulating the current to ground (the regulator should again be grounded to the lower isolated diode trio) - the brushes that feed the field coil should be in insulating holders so it should be isolated.

So, to make just about any alternator an isolated ground, the lower diode trio needs to be insulated from the case and a ground lug insulated from the case need to be provided to the lower diode trio, and the voltage regulator needs its ground reference to be the lower diode trio's holder. Other than that if your insulation on the other components are good, it's ready to go.

In a pinch, you may be able to take the rebuild kit for the size alternator you are running and cannibalize the positive post and insulator to make a new connection for the lower diode trio. You'd need a drill or drill press.

nokia

tim292stro
i want to thank you very much for your valuable info which going to help me lot
in the time being i,ll look for second hand from internet for truck start purposes .
your advice and suggestion will be taken seriously when i got spare alternator
God bless you.

MarcusOReallyus

The driver's side alternator does not require an isolated ground. You can use a standard 27si Type 100 alternator. If you ever swap it into the passenger side and hook things up, you'll get some fireworks, but as long as it lives in the driver's side, it's fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks