• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Auxilary lighting Question

fknnts

Would like to add auxiliary off road lighting to my 1986 cucv m1008. I have kept the 12/24 volt system. Plan to run 12 6 inch spot lights with h3 bulbs. Would like opinions if I should use the 12 volt bulbs of the front battery or get 24 volt bulbs off both. its a heavy amperage load so unsure what route would be best. any and all ideas or opinions are appreciated.

6x6TRex

12 volt bulbs are going to have a max draw of ~10 amps each (130 watt H3) so 120 amps is a huge load to put on the stock electrical system. I'll try to remember to grab the part number when I'm at work but Napa has 70 watt 24 volt H3 bulbs (draw ~3 amps). With that many lights I would swap out to 24 volt bulbs, 35 amps is a lot better than 120!

I'm on the local fire department and our grass rig is a M1008 with a 12 volt conversion and dual group 31 batteries. With 2 stock alternators its all the electrical system can do to power the rotator light bar on it for an extended period of time.

Always consider the size of your alternator(s) when adding anything to a vehicle. When your amp draw is larger than your alternator output, dont plan on running it very long otherwise you'll end up stranded with dead batteries.

Jeepsinker

Aren't the stock 1008 alternators 100 amp units? So a total charging capacity of 200 amps? That should in theory be more than enough for whatever you want to run(24v anyway).

papakb

Running 24 volt bulbs in your lights will lower the current draw for the system and allow you to use lighter gauge wires to power them. Light output won't be affected and there's less chance of a wiring error getting across the wrong battery.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Keith_J

Or you could run 12 volt bulbs in 2 series x 6 off 24 volt side. This would require smaller wire size.