• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Designation

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the correct nomenclature for an '86 G30 with maintenance box and generator? The Wiki post shows the Marine Corp version as an M1010 but what would the Army/AF version be? And what would the typical accesories load (fire ext, tools, etc) look like? I'm watching a couple in Texarcana right now. Both have under 1k mileage and only an hour on the generators.

papercu

I think I would go there to check them out, same pictures for both items and the generator/welder is missing. Wish I was closer for this trailer. Wayne

Attachments

ONTOS66

The M1010 is the CUCV ambulance. The Marine Corps modified 25 of them in 1988 for use as
"Shop Set, Field Maintenance, Ordnance Contact Van" since this was a one-of modification it did not receive an "M" # but was referred to in MARINE CORPS ORDER 8000.2 as "the van."

The contact maintenance truck in the CUCV (GM) family was not assigned its own "M" number. It was primarily an M1031 chassis with the maintenance box attached. Although in some other sources I found reference to using the M1008 or M1028 chasis when the M1031 wasn't available.

The M880 family did have an individual identifier for the contact maintenance truck configuration. It was the M887 (although in the same MCO mentioned above, the Marine Corps stated that the modified M1010 would replace the previously modified M886 - which is the ambulance body of the 880 family). For some reason the Marine Corps wanted a contact truck with the space of the ambulance so retrofitted an ambulance due to the small numbers involved.

TM 9-4940-421-14, appendix E, (available from LOGSA), has the tool list for the M887 contact maintenance truck as well as information on the generator and compressor.

A similar truck was also created on the M37 body, The M715 and now on the M1079 humvee.

Hope this helps a bit.

LanceRobson

I've seen two principal versions of the CUCV based contact truck.

One uses a belt driven generator/welder driven by a transfer case PTO and one used a V4 Wisconsin gas engine driven generator/welder. Generator output, on the ones I've been around, varied from 8 to 20 kW and welder output varied, too.

I've seen enough versions and capacities of both the welders and generators to doubt they were ever really "standardized", but maybe someone else has more info.

I've seen the chassis identified as M1031s and M1028s (mostly PTO driven) but, to add to the confusion, did see at least one M1031 chassis with the NP 205 transfer case w/PTO.

I have a feeling that they tended to be assembled out of what was available when the contract was written. I know that a few also were Depot assembled to replace trucks lost in accidents.

Lance

The designation for the body of the truck is "Shop Equipment, Contact Maintenance, Truck Mounted" or SECMTM. The contents varied by the type of unit it was assigned to. Those are listed in Supply Catalogs (SC) depending on whether it is for a maintenance unit or any variation of an engineer unit.

The 1438th Engineer Detachment at Camp Grayling had 4 units assigned to it, but our CO never let me put through the request for the complete tool sets for our Carpenter, Electician, Maintenance and Plumber sections. They didn't automatically come with the truck like the BII did. Ours were mounted on the M1031 Chassis, but that didn't show up anywhere in our maintenance records.
Edit: Ours had the PTO driven generator, and we had to relearn how to set it right every time we used it (which wasn't often). They did work well for running the lights in the GP medium on annual training.

I also wanted to move the air compressor from the back left side of the rear compartment to closer to the cab with a protective screen, because I knew the guys using the trucks liked to just open the doors and throw stuff in. Not laid out the best for packing and stacking gear and equipment for field use.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks