• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV dies--Survival Tip #1

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All,
I was on my way out to work on my M54A2, and stopped for lunch. Got back in started the engine,
it ran for about 5 seconds and died. Oh s...t. This is my daily driver and there is no backup.

It turns out that the solenoid that acts as a kill control died or the wiring to it died. I had had a problem with this
joker before, but that was just a matter of the screw rattling out of a bracket, and I fixed that.

Tip#1-Always have some bailing wire in your glove box, and a pair of plyers.

I managed to wrap some wire around some parts and then over the slot in the end of the solenoid
shaft and back to some other parts to keep the solenoid pushed in. Whew, started right up.

Of course when I got home I had soldier B turn the key off at the instant I released the solenoid.
I did this under the assumption that this solenoids function is to prevent dieseling. Am I correct in
this, and is it important in a diesel engine? If I had just switched the ignition off, would it have
killed the engine right away?

Thanks,
Bruce

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, but the time before, a screw had rattled out that attached it to the bracket.
I fixed that already. Have to go out and test the coil and see if it died. As soon as
the rain clears up a bit. I hope this is an easy part to get. Do you know
if it is a dealer part or might it be available from NAPA?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another trick on shutting down a 6.2 or 6.5. There is a return line coming from the top of the injection pump feeding to the right side of the vehicle. A pinch of this line will kill that thing dead in a second.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the "fast idle solenoid" located just forward of the air cleaner.
It stands up at a 45 deg angle and points down toward the end of the throttle
cable.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it dosen't activate, then the engine won't start. If you push it in and keep it there
then the engine will start.

mangus580

Hmmm, it 'should' start without it.... as if you read the starting instructins on the visor, you are supposed to hold the pedal down some anyway to start ;-) Now, if that solenoid isnt getting power, that might mean the 'advance solenoid' isnt as well (on the same circuit) and this might prohibit starting....

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Mike,
I think we are talking about the same solenoid. The circuit goes through a cold start and fast idle switch, then jumpers to a cold advance control and then to the fast idle solenoid. The fast idle solenoid works, but is not getting juice, so according to the TM the coldstart and fast idle switch is defective, or there is no juice to it.
My problem now, is I can't find the switch. And ofcourse, it started raining again.

mangus580

Its one of the 2 temp switches... One is in the back of the head, and one is in the side of the head. One is for the GP controller, other is for the cold circuit. I dont recall which is which, but I can start digging in the schematics if you need me to....

mangus580

Ok... here it goes

the glow plug temp sensor is the one with the Black and yelow wires. the cold advance temp sensor is the one with the Pink/black and Lt Green wires. I think that one is on the passenger side head, on the side, toward the back. I think the GP one is located on the drivers head, On the top, at the back. Maybe later I will poke my head under the hood, and see if I can locate them for sure for you...

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mike, I located it in the TM. Engine wiring harness replacement section.
As you said passenger side rear. I am about to make a bypass switch so I can
go get the part.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Switch works great. Let the engine warm up, shut off the switch and you will hear a noticeable drop in rpm, but it keeps on purring. Made a couple of half hour stops,
and it started right back up without the switch. Now all I have to do is install the new
part. Oh what fun, first you have to remove the after battery to get at it and then
it's head first into the abyss.
Thankyou all for your support!

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do I have the feeling that you have an arctic heater kit installed :)
You must have a wonderfull wife, to take the time to add comments to your signature.

Most wives just ignore hobbies. Mine, on the other hand, supports me.
But she doesn't hesitate to make the right comments when I get too carried away...

mangus580

The arctic kit is about 75% or more installed.... The real killer is the enclosed battery boxes, they really get in the way...