• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV electrical issues (of course)

OK so here's the deal, My M1009 has been at a mechanics for a few months. I got it back yesterday but there are a few problems he couldn't get fixed and a new one. The new one is that the key is stuck in the run position it will move to the start position but thats it, he said it was easy to replace that part key lock/cylinder lock? (can't remember what he called it) and also the horn will not stop when I turn the service lights on, and the turn signals stay solid when they are on (when I first got the cucv my wife said a little smoke would come out of the sterring column right after it started, but by the time I got home it wasn't doing it anymore) what might that have been and how do I take apart the column? (if needed) Thanks for your help.

ida34

You need to pull out the steering column and replace it or take it apart and fix the gremlins. All of the problems you discuss can be attributed to problems in the column. The lock cylinder pushes and pulls on a rod that attaches to the ignition switch lower on the column. It sounds like something when bad inside the column that is jamming up the lock cylinder or rod while also messing with the wiring inside the column. Smoke out of the steering column is a good sign of a short. You may have other damage but until you fix the column you will not be able to troubleshoot any other problems.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you undo the two bolts that attach the column to the instrument panel, the column will drop down enough so you can access the ignition switch.

Dodgeman1941

I had 2 of the problems you mentioned. The sticking horn was just something stuck under the horn button, quick fix. With the lock cylinder the cylinder itself was shot.

bigflew

seriously a few months?
my solution was to go to salvage yard get a used TILT column ($50.00)and install it. if you cant do it your self find new mechanic.

ida34

There are steering wheel pullers that are very cheap at most auto stores. Look on the steering wheel and you will see a couple of threaded holes. The puller is usually a flat round piece of metal. Two bolts through holes in the metal then into the threaded holes in the steering wheel. The center is threaded on the metal and comes with a bolt. Screw in the bolt and it pulls off the steering wheel. The tools are real cheap. The hard thing is the lock plate. Under the steering wheel there is a metal plate with notches. When the lock cylinder is in the lock position a pin engages the one of the notches and prevents the steering wheel form turning. If is held in with a small circular clip but there is a spring underneath. To get it back on there is another tool to buy that will compress the plate and spring enough to get the circular clip back on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks