• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Glow Plug Relay Issues - Help

sgreen2

I went to start my m1008 for the first time in 2 weeks yesterday and it was totally dead, not even the horn or headlights would work. I checked the batteries and they were completely dead. I charged them both back up and attempted to start the truck. As I turned the key to the on postion, I could hear a very fast paced clicking from under the hood. When I turned the key further the starter would click, but not rotate. I looked under the hood why my girlfriend turned the key to the on position and I heard the fast paced clicking coming from the Glow Plug Relay. I ensured the connections were corrosion free and secure. I have the following questions concerning this issue:

1) Obviously, the Glow Plug Relay probably needs replaced and this is not caused by something else, correct?

2) Since my batteries were dead, does that mean that the malfunctioning relay could have let my glow plugs stay on and perhapes could have damaged them?

Thank you for any help you can provide. By the way, my m1008 has the newer silver colored relay, not the older black colored version.

txmytx_catahoula

As you've no doubt read in other electrical trouble shooting threads, the first step is to charge and load test your batteries. Sometimes the batteries won't come back to life after a "dead cycle". I've heard the sounds you're hearing right now and the were because, even thou the batts showed 12 v, under a load, they went to 8v or lower. Load test your batteries, replace if necessary and see from there. Good luck!!

cpf240

:ditto: What he said...

When my front battery was going bad, I would get the dash lights flashing and relay going crazy noise when I tried to crank the engine. The front battery would charge, but failed the load test. The rear battery tested good, so I was able to swap them and get it to start. I did not leave it that way long, and replaced the batteries as soon as I could.

mistaken1

The clicking is the relay cycling back and forth (chatter) because there is not enough current to hold the relay in against the spring that normally opens it when power is removed from the coil.

If both of your batteries were dead either one (or both) developed an internal short or there is something else wrong that caused the batteries to be drained. If it is something else you need to find it before it ruins your new batteries.

You have downloaded all of the manuals right?

Search for colored wiring diagrams by unclesam, they are nice.