• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Help

SouthBranch

Hello All,
I am new to Steel Soldiers and CUCVs, but have learned a lot of information from this site over the last year or so. After a lot of trouble from taking the truck to the local shops I started to read here and fix the problems I was having.

So far I have put a new starter (after 4 burn ups), doghead relay, reinstalled missing horn parts in the steering column, and finally installed new glowplugs, injectors, and an injector pump.

That leads me to why I need help. I was loosing power on hills and the truck died. The fuel return line was clogged. It started again, but didn't have any power and heavy white smoke. I checked lift pump, its working fine... I decided to replace the injector pump and injectors. I just finished and got the truck to start. It fills the yard with white smoke and basically dies out. I adjusted the pump timing, but it didn't seem to do much for the problem.

If anyone knows a lot about the injector pumps, I had to swap out one of the nipples on the reman pump as I crossed treaded it. To get it out I had to remove and then return an allen head bolt @ 12 O'clock as you are looking down on the pump. I put it in as it was, but maybe that is where it all went wrong...

Thanks for any assistance. I love the truck, but it has been in a constant state of not working for one reason or another.

Any thoughts on what I should try next. I am running out of ideas.

Thanks!
Mike

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget to check the exhaust. I had one that I thought needed an injector pump (would only run on idle) and here the only problem was a clogged muffler. Replaced it and what a difference. You never know.

mistaken1

White smoke could be steam but is typically un-combusted (is that a word) fuel.

Black smoke is typically not enough air.

Compression tests on each cylinder?

Valve not fully seating preventing full compression and consequently combustion?

Are you losing coolant without any visible leaks?

charlietango

my problem that is similar sounding to this was bad glow plugs mixed with collapsed internally mufflers (rusted out inside) but it could be several things... it sure does sound like un burnt fuel though!

forgot to mention my timing chain was FUBAR when I got the truck...was so loose it could have skipped actually. This could be another thing to look at. listen for rattling in the front of the block?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks