• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV in Mexico

choll

Wel finally got the blazer running the way I want, so I took it to San Felipe Mexico. This was the first long trip since doing the work to it. Drove the almost 500 miles only stopping for fuel. I got over 21mpg on the way down I kept the speed around 70mph so if something broke I would hear it. The first couple of hours I was sure something was going to go wrong. Wll we get to my friends house and I see a massive oil leak, I crawl under the truck and oil is EVERYWHERE and dripping. I cant see where the leak is so I start the truck and it is from the oil cooling lines which I just changed 2 weeks ago. They we the only lines I could find, made in China, so I put them on. When ordered I even asked the guy, NAPA store, if they were made in american he said yes. When I pick them up I pointed out they were made in China. I bought them because I hade the old one taken off. They were leaking from the fitting. Tried rearranging them to no avail, it was still leaking. Lucky for me I had kept the old one. Put the 30 year old one back on problem fixed, you have to love american made auto parts. This leak pumped out 6 quarts of oil in less than a min. Thank god it decided to break in the driveway.
No issues at the borders or military check point. The Mexican soliders loved the thing made it through the check point in about 2 mins. I waited 15mins for my friends
On the way home I drove the truck like I stole it, 80-85 mph all the way. Wanted to see my 3 year old daughter before she went to bed.

Attachments

OL AG '89

WOW!!!!
Brave and CRAZY
welcome home!!!!

80 - 85 MPH in a BLAZER, without castrophic engine failure!!!
You have a tach in that thing?
I'm afraid to drive faster than 65 with mine on 33's!!!! (M1009)

Engine sounds like a screeming meemy (sp) at that speed.
check the rpm calculator out..... I think you'll be surprised at the engine speed at 80 MPH on stock tires. Unless you regeared.....

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
80-85 mph? Is it all downhill from the border to your town? My M1009 with it's short wheel base gets kinda weird at 70 mph, not to mention the engine rpms. Glad you didn't get dead over there.

choll

Everything is good on that side, so it appears. I was not worried at all. Route 5 to San Felipe is well trvelled by the police and military always has been. The military check points were set up years ago at the request of America to stop the drug runners from using Route 5. This was my 5th time down and never had any issues.
The american border officers asked if it was my truck and how many times I have been to Mexico. They have run my passport everytime I have gone.

panama

Good job Choll!! I drive my 1009 the 750 miles between Miami and Ft. Bragg regularly with no problems. I find the truck WANTS to drive 80-85...and does it smoothly. Glad ya had a successful road trip!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks