• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Injectors vs Marine injs, removal + cleaning proceedur

Somemedic

2 questions...

Can I take the injectors off of the motor and clean them out and then put them back? Ive had a lot of debris keep clogging up my return line injector on top of the IP. It wont allow the the glass plunger to move back and forth so I have to take it off and blast it out with carb cleaner. No biggie but I would have to think that some crud has made it to the nozzles. It does idle kinda ruff right now...

What do I hear about marine injectors being the way to go? I want to rebuild the IP soon and heard the marine injs are the way to go for the NA 6.2. Anyone have a part number or can confirm this?

CCATLETT1984

RE: CUCV Injectors vs Marine injs, removal + cleaning procee

well, the marine injectors do flow more fuel, so if you are having your IP rebuilt at the same time i would do it. the main thing is that the marine injectors have a higher pop pressure, so the injector pump must be healthly to build enough pressure.

Somemedic

Would be intrested in hearing if the injectors (marine) made a dif. For the price Im curious.

What about pulling off the current set and cleaning them? If I do it will I need to replace some O-rings or other gaskets?

dilvoy

What's clogging things up? Are those black rubber return hoses dissolving on the inside? I haven't heard of any marine 6.5 injectors that weren't for a turbo applicatio and as mentioned, they need an injector pump that operates at a higher pressure. I guess you could install a DB2 for a turbo application, but where are you going to get the extra air from, porting and larger intake valves? I bet you would still make way more power, but with lots of black smoke. I haven't heard much about modified cams and bigger valves in the 6.2/6.5 world. I'd be interested to hear anything about it though.

surpdlr

Re: CUCV Injectors vs Marine injs, removal + cleaning procee

Somemedic said:
2 questions...

Can I take the injectors off of the motor and clean them out and then put them back? Ive had a lot of debris keep clogging up my return line injector on top of the IP. It wont allow the the glass plunger to move back and forth so I have to take it off and blast it out with carb cleaner. No biggie but I would have to think that some crud has made it to the nozzles. It does idle kinda ruff right now...

What do I hear about marine injectors being the way to go? I want to rebuild the IP soon and heard the marine injs are the way to go for the NA 6.2. Anyone have a part number or can confirm this?
As I tried to point out in this thread, the Injectors are matched to the pump....

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=104793

It may not be the answer you want, but it is true!! You can give Lance a call at Diesel Pro 717-235-4996, he does great work!!!

MILRET45

What was alluded to but not followed through on in that G503 thread is the 24V versus 12V solenoid difference between the HMMWV and CUCV injection pumps. A 24V HMMWV pump would be a bit problematic installed on a 12V CUCV system.

CCATLETT1984

yes the pumps are spec'd for a certain pop pressure, this can be adjusted slightly to change the spray pattern.
you cant run turbo injector pop pressures in a NA motor for instance, but you can bump the pressure up a tad for better spray patterns.

Somemedic

So....

for the past few months I'll drive the blazer around and occassionally I need to unscrew the the return line check valve and blow it out with some choke and carb spray. A bunch of tiny coffe ground debris comes out and I then reinstall and along my merry way I go for awhile. Then the rough idleing and loss of power returns. Weeks usually go by and I might have to do it again. Then this past week Ive had to do it every other day.

Ive heard the thoughts on changing all those lines but is it really the problem? If they had deteriorated so badly I would think there would be fuel leaking from one of the injector return lines.

surpdlr

Somemedic said:
So....

for the past few months I'll drive the blazer around and occassionally I need to unscrew the the return line check valve and blow it out with some choke and carb spray. A bunch of tiny coffe ground debris comes out and I then reinstall and along my merry way I go for awhile.
Probably the EID, coming apart. The heart of your pumpo is a big rubber block that spins around.
Do you use Stanadyne fuel treartment? It will prolong the life of a good pump, but will not bring back a dead pump....

Somemedic

Use stanadyne fuel additive? Hadnt heard of the stuff. Ive used diesel kleen before and thats really it. Return lines really dont look bad and are plyable. I took a couple of thereturn line tubes off and shot some carb cleaner into the tubing and injector nipples. Truck ran fine yesterday but symtoms are returning so Im sure the check valve is almost clogged again.
The debris is mostly dark brown or sometimes reddish tinged. The pieces are almost granular. Its time for a rebuild then? No other symptoms (smokes a bit when cold but not after warmup)