• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV issues

ford

I am looking at picking up a m1008. I have been lurking around this site for years on the Deuce board but am just now venturing over the CUCV side. I read through the FAQ and have been poking around the threads here. I cam across a thread that was chastising some one for blindly jumping in to a CUCV with out knowing about the mess they were getting in to. I would like to avoid that and educate myself on what I am in for.

I saw discussions on 12v vs 24v. I am ok with the 24v starting system and bypassing for the glow plugs.

I saw lots of folk talking about swollen glow plugs and what not.

I saw that the blackout lights can cause some issues with the electrical.

A few years ago I had a K20 with the 6.2L and am familiar with the civi version but am looking for a bit of info on the sort of mess I would be getting myself in to with an m1008. Or just some direction to posts that would be good reads. I did some searches but they yielded 20+ pages each and I never made it past the first few pages of each search.

Thanks in advanced!

MT4222

First of all DO NOT BYPASS THE GLOWPLUGS. Instead you can take off the 24 volt input to the relay and connect it to the 12 volt block. Same motor pretty much just 2 alternators with isolated grounds. And a 24 volt starter.

jeeplvr247

Try to find something that is still running the stock 24v setup. If your truck is stock and something goes wrong you can get help from the TMs or many of the guys from the site. If you have a 12v conversion or some bubba electrical modifications you will be on your own. Just my two cents worth.