• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV newb from SoCal

DTL

Hey folks, just wanted to briefly introduce myself! My name is Don, and I'm from Bakersfield, CA. I recently picked up a M1009 and a M1008A1 to restore, play with and eventually sell. (Unless I fall in love with them, which tends to happen!) I stumbled across this site and I'm looking forward to learning a lot and hopefully being able to contribute some as well.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think you'll be in too much of a rush to sell them once they are up and running, dare I say semi reliable. Welcome.

Oh yeah almost forgotnopics. Let's see them.

DTL

Thanks for the link hole, that looks like trouble! :twisted:

I'll snap a few pics to post up. I'm a little embarassed by their condition right now, but I JUST got them from GL out of Nellis AFB in Nevada. The M1009 is first to get worked on, so hopefully I'll have some good before-and-after shots! My poor M1008A1 got painted with a frigging brush by some clowns and she needs a little bodywork, but it'll be perfect for breaking in the new kid at the shop! :mrgreen: If he doesn't quit after a week with the DA sander, then maybe we'll keep him around for a bit.

DTL

LOL, right on! They both run (I saw to that first thing) they both just look a little rough. It's all good though. I bought them because I love projects! :D

IROC99

I am new to MV brotherhood also. Welcome from South Carolina. Maybe store a pillow and blanket in M1009 for WTSHTF locally!! Just kidding. Most wives will tolerate us if we don't forget to remind them (and ourselves) what they mean to us.
Glad to be on board with you.

IROC99

DTL

Under the catagory of "better late than never" here are a few pics of my new projects:

The M1009 is first on the block for restoration. We just got done stripping it today. The top had never been off as far as we can tell and the floors have ZERO rust on them. The weather is looking a little iffy for this weekend, so it probably won't get painted until early next week.

The M1008 is waiting its turn. It's also a zero-rust truck, but it's had a few bumps and bruises over the years. Somewhere along the way, it had its original OD Green paint redone to Desert Tan with a PAINT BRUSH. There are brush hairs stuck in the paint. Friggin people. It's going to take one of my guys a week with a DA sander to get it ready.

The good news is, they both run and drive great! The M1008 has gotten turned in to the defacto shop-truck and everybody is in love with them both.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks