• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv oil cooler mount

Horsis

Used 2098 radiator and mounted cooler on grill
or should I say temporarilly mounted it with tie wraps
any info on how to make this permanent
vehicle is m1009 85 w/60 k mi
Thanks and hope this has not been asked 10000 times i been searching for an hour

cucvrus

You have the oil cooler mounted on the grille? And are we talking transmission oil cooler or engine oil cooler? Pictures are needed if that thing is grille mounted.

Hasdrubal

I'm assuming its a transmission cooler. The internal rad mounted cooler is less than optimal as it can only "cool" the ATF to 195 degrees. The shop that rebuilt my transmission, installed an auxiliary cooler. It was mounted to the radiator with some kind of straps that wrapped around the cores. I didn't like that, someone who off-roads once told me this system caused a catastrophic radiator failure. So, I fashioned some stainless brackets that are attached to the rad support, keeping the cooler separate from the rad. Also, wherever the hoses come into contact with metal, I cut another larger diameter hose and slipped it on, with zap straps to hold it in place. This prevents any chaffing, and potential hose failure in the future, from all the vibration.

Horsis

I know this is old but any chance get pic of that bracket
i have same problem 85 m1009 new radiator and trans. Cooler ended up ty wrapped to grillle
and they will only break when its summer and 900 degrees in the desert 20 miles from BFE

Hasdrubal

Sorry about the pic quality, cant get a very good shot with the grille in place. Basically, the drivers side top is a flat piece of stainless stock I cut to length and drilled 2 holes on. It attaches to the top corner of cooler and the inside of rad support. The passenger side of cooler has a top and bottom bracket that have 2 90 degree bends on the ends, attaches at the center vertical rad support, with about 2-3" spacing. You can just make out the washer on the top pic, bottom shows the bracket a little better. This setup is very sturdy with just the 3 mounts, so the bottom drivers side I just have a zap strap going down to the bottom rad support.

Attachments