• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV pickup trailer hitch ideas

maxpowercheck

Now I'm asking for any reasonable ideas on how to install a class 3 or 4 receiver type trailer hitch on my pickup, M1031 with 8 ' bed and overload springs. I went to my local hitch expert and he said a standard production hitch would not match due to bumper drop. Go have one fabricated at the welding shop. They said they would do it but only weld it on. I then went to a friend who owns a steel fabrication plant and they are making a long plate with receiver which they'll bolt on the bumper. Not sure what to do. Should they reinforce by making arms going to the frame? Is there an aftermarket hitch which bolts straight on to the bumper and allows the spare tire to hang? Any ideas?

Another bud runs the military museum here, he just bought a $45 receiver tube with small 4 bolt plate and mounted it under the pintle area. Then began attempting to pull mega weight loads until the engine couldn't do it. I saw stress loading on the bumper but it held together, amazing.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How about buying a pintle/ball combo that will bolt in place of the current pintle? Paint in OD or Sand and it would be hard to spot the difference.

lacoda56

I made up a hitch that bolts to the bottom of the bumper. I don't see why you'd have to weld anything on. No need to tie into the frame, either. The bumper is solid enough as is. I don't know of any add on hitches that will allow the spare to stay under the back.

redwolf3

I looked into this a long time ago. No pictures, but Hidden Hitch made a hitch that went behind the license plate on the civi K5's. If memory serves, this is the exact location that the current Pintle hitch on the M1009 goes.

IIRC (and its been a while), I believe I had planned to hide the hidden hitch behind the pintle setup (It was designed to hide behind the license). Then, if I need to use a regular hitch, I just disconnect the pintle and plug in my accessories. Otherwise, I could leave the pintle in to cover the hitch and look authentic.

Although, as I said, its been a while, so don't hold me to this.