• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv question

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
In looking around, I've noticed that the blazers and some ambulances are rated 3/4 ton. Were there any cucv pickups rated at 3/4 ton?

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Blazers were listed as "3/4-ton" trucks by the military, but that was because they had roughly a 3/4-ton payload. It was actually 1200 lbs, but what's 300lbs among friends, right?

I have heard that the pickups were 3/4-ton trucks with a 1-ton front axle, but that is simply not the case. For one thing, the VIN is a definitive clue that the trucks are "30 series". Some argue that the pickups were 3/4-ton because most had the NP-208 transfer case, which was only used in 1/2 and 3/4-ton trucks in the civilian market. If anything, the truth is that they are 1-ton trucks with a 3/4-ton transfer case. The NP-208 is pretty darn durable and was much more economical for GM to use than the NP-205 for the contract. The M1031's did get the NP-205, but there were relatively few of them.

My civilian crew-cab V30 weighs about 6200 and has a GVW of 9200 (no overload springs), so it's essentially the same as the M1008, which weighed about 5900 and had a GVW of 8800 lbs. The overload springs of the M1010, M1031 and M1028/A1/A2/A3 variants gave them an additional 600-700 pounds of payload capacity and a GVW of 9400lbs (9450 for the M1010), which is about the same as a civilian truck of the same vintage with the same overload spring option.

M880's, on the other hand, were all built on a civilian W200 (3/4-ton) chassis. But they were not part of the CUCV program.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They were. But 5/4-ton in the military is a literal interpretation of the payload. 2900 minus about 400 pounds for 2 passengers equals 2500lbs or 5/4-ton payload.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The main reason you find the blazers creatively rated at 3/4 ton was to get it into the heavy emissions category so that it could be equipped with "J" engines.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks