• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Questions

The Swamphare

Okay, I'm new to owning one and my wife said "Okay, you can sleep in it if you want." But I'm content to merely drive it. I drove thousands of miles in one in DS; from Khobar to Riyadh to Kuwait City to Basra to KKMC to everywhere in between in my capacity I had courier orders and ran missions on verbal orders. That one had more miles than my 'new' one and was wrecked when I left. Diesel was free!

Here's the thing: I want to snorkel kit it and replace the radio sets/antennae and add some lighting on the interior for maps, etc. Any tips?

SFC Retired after 27 years

Westech

CPL
Welcome to SS. A snorkel you will have to fab.. there are many members who have done so. Search "snorkel" and that should get the ball rolling on that. As for lights, kinda the same way. You can wire in a "stock civy" dome light, or add anything you want.

on a side note, were you NG?

timm831

Is snorkel kit for looks are are you wanting to make it operational? We had the CUCV trucks & blazers in the Corps when I was in but they were considerred non deploayble due to the fact that they could not ford deep water. The power train isn't set up the same as the HMMWV even though the original HMMWV's and the CUCV series both had 6.2L's.

The Swamphare

The snorkel will be functional. I saw the one on you tube that I like, with a cat pre-cleaner on it. As far as the lights for the interior, I'm gonna go with some mini-spots for maps, &c. , preferably something I can red filter. I re-flagged my truck with bumper numbers that reflect a favorite past unit - C 5/327th in Ft Rich, AK 1983-4

Attachments

Wile E. Coyote

Might want to try something like this for interior light. I have two in my van and one in my deuce and they work great.
Soderberg Manufacturing Inc Products
That's the aircraft cockpit light, I think. Cool. Didn't know they were still mfg'd.

In my own M1009 I've installed a battle light out of an armored vehicle on the ceiling at the point where the roof changes from metal to fiberglass, that way it lights the radio area and the cab equally, and it can be switched for White or Red light (some have blue in place of the red.) I've seen the same light as a field mod in deuces and even on dashboards of M151A2s, so it seemed like a good choice.

They're around on Ebay, plus I think Frank's Surplus or one of the other Supply Line/ Military Vehicles Magazine dealers has them in stock NOS.

Wile E. Coyote

Plus you can take a simple cord from the battle light and run it down to the 24V radio bus bar mounted to the sidewall
passenger-side rear seat area - then you won't even need to change the bulb. Works great. Should've been standard equipment but that would've been too sensible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks