• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv radios??

andytk5

Are the radios that came in the cucv's especially the m1009s worth acquiring for an added touch of authenticity and usefulness? What is the range on them? Are civilians allowed to use them? I'd just like to go with an authentic piece especially if say the phones went out.... Hehe!

andytk5

What is the range on those, the rt246 or rt524? Also where is a good source to buy new/refurb radios? Are these more powerful than your standard "cobra" CB and whip antennae?

mistaken1

What is the range on those, the rt246 or rt524? Also where is a good source to buy new/refurb radios? Are these more powerful than your standard "cobra" CB and whip antennae?
The range depends on the antenna type, antenna height, transmit frequency, transmit power, terrain and atmospheric conditions.

By law a CB is limited to 4 watts so most ham gear is far more powerful.

Galaxy 10 Meter Radios : 10 Meter Mobile Radios

The question is who do you want to talk to when the phones go out and what frequencies are they operating on?

New to Ham Radio

The point is the FCC takes a dim view of unlicensed transmitters. If you want to stay unlicensed you are limited to CB, FRS and MURS.

http://www.softcom.net/users/djstutz/rt524.html

The only place you can use this is 6-meter and the 50KHz steps will limit the usefulness of the RT524 as a ham radio.

Specifications:
Frequency Coverage: 30 to 75.95 MHz in 2 bands
Channel Spacing: 50 kHz
Modulation: FM
RF Power Output: [low] 0.5-8 Watts @ 25 VDC/3Amps, [high] 35 Watts @ 25 VDC/10 Amps
Range: [low-power] 5 miles (8km), [high power] 25 miles (41km) approx
Receiver Sensitivity: 0.5uV
Power Requirements: 25 VDC to 30 VDC

Last edited:

andytk5

Great info! Thanks, I was thinking if it's even possible to listen in on local military chatter, I'm near a few bases(if that's even possible) but be able to communicate citywide at least if something happened to commercial communication infrastructure, not that I'm building a bunker.... Maybe a compound?

andytk5

And can the Rt-524/246 talk to CB radios or vice versa? Seems like the 524's run around $500+ and the 246's are around $250? That is good shape. Is this about right?

mistaken1

There are no channels authorized in the CB Radio Service above 27.405 MHz or below 26.965 MHz so the RT-524 will not work on the CB frequencies unless you modify it to do so but then it would not have an FCC type certification for CB use. You could use a modified radio to listen but not transmit.

The RT-246 has the same specifications as the RT-524 except that it has 10 push-buttons that can be preset to a frequency.

FCC Frequency Band Plan

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Hambands_color.pdf

You could use these radios for listening all you want. If you want to transmit legally you are quite limited on what frequencies are available to you as a private citizen. Basically you need a ham license and can transmit on 6-meters (50-54 MHz). All the other frequencies that these radios can transmit on, outside of that amateur band, are allocated to other users.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks