• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Smartbook

stationjj

I bought a CUCV M1009 in April 2012. I am learning to repair problems as I go along. I am loving it! I am an addict. HAHA!

I quickly found that many problems are discussed in the TMs -20 and -34. What I found a problem was trying to read PDFs on my laptop and working on truck. I kept going back and forth between the CUCV and the PDF on the laptop. I was wasting time. I could bring the laptop to my CUCV, but I don't like mixing a laptop PC with repairing a CUCV.

I looked at printed repair manuels on Ebay more money than I want to spend.

So I created the Smartbook. I created a 7 section notebook I can carry in the CUCV.

Section1. Maintenance Logs and service from the -20
Section2. CUCV FAQ from SS
Section3. Electrical Troubleshooting from -20
Section4. Mechanical Trobleshooting from -20
Section5. Diagrams and charts from Various sources
Section6. Parts list. Still work in progress
Section7. Notes. Most of this are the posts from SS

I collected condensed pages from the -20. I have around 125 pages in the smartbook. I have a laser printer so the cost per page is much cheaper than using a inkjet.

I am not tyring to violate any copyright issues. All the information is available to anyone online. I have refrenced all resources used.

I wanted to share my idea with everyone. All the information is online. It just takes a few hours to create. In the long run it is worth the time. It also fit nicely between driver seat and center console.

I am also interested in any feedback for improvements.

thanks,

stationjj

stranger75

Great idea. Searching through the TM's as PDF on a laptop is a great example of why paper books should continue to be printed. Can you imagine if Chiltons started releasing their manuals on a Kindle or iPad? Being able to turn a page is a valuable asset while turning wrenches.

Are you using this notebook to keep track of fuel purchases and mileage? A section or chapter for recording fuel stops as well as one for recording maintenance is my suggestion.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[thumbzup] That is a fantastic idea!

You obviously have the gifted ability to search, read and comprehend what your reading.

You must attend 2 separate family reunions(unlike some members here).

Last edited:

Glockamolie

I just got my M1009 about a month ago. I've been collecting selected pages from the TMs, as well as other things I've found that would be useful (some of the diagrams from CUCVElectric, for instance), and have bound them in a 3-ring binder. My CUCV came with a civi Blazer console installed, and the binder fits in there just fine. I figure if I carry all of that along with a multimeter (I had a spare cheapo one that I don't use much) and a few hand tools, I might be able to figure out a problem on the fly.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am also interested in any feedback for improvements.

thanks,

stationjj
Great job. I have also collected and shared alot of information on the CUCV.

I'm just too lasy to compile it into one format and share it with others.

On a sidenote, I have had others take credit for stuff I have posted. At one point I started to pickup my toys and go home.

Just trying to say, Don't be offended if someone does it to you also.

bshupe

Are the documents something you could/would consider making available to others if for a small fee to pay for your valuable time? Im happy to print it out and make my own book I just dont have time to do the compiling part.

If you like the previously mentioned idea of a maintenance/fuel log. I would be happy to vreat said document in part or whole exchange for your work.

Thanks for posting about this.

Red_506

That's a pretty good idea. I have had a reproduction log book that I keep in my 1009 for a while (has all the correct forms for a military log book, plus my insurance and registration); adding something like that in my pamphlet bag would be very useful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks