• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv started blowing black smoke

happydaddy

Hi all i am new here, ive got a cucv blazer that runs like a champ. Recently it started blowing black smoke when i accelerate. Ive changed the fuel filter and air filter and now am questioning the injector module? any advice? thanks for your time. Also i have no idea where to find said module on the engine or to buy a new one.

Ken_86gt

Well, black smoke to me means to much fuel or not enough air. If you don't see any obstructions in the air intake it is time to look at the fuel.

There are some great troubleshooting procedures in the TM - which you can download for free.

My 'guess' without actually following the TM, is to look at the injectors. Maybe take them out and have them professionally tested. Again this is my guess.

Ken_86gt

It is normal for some black smoke on acceleration. Since you stated that this is a recent issue I am not thinking that you are refering to the normal amount of smoke, which should not be that much.

Some more general causes:

• Incorrect timing
  • Dirty or worn injectors
  • Over-fuelling
  • Faulty turbocharger (ie not enough air to match the fuel) -No turbo to worry about in this truck!
  • Incorrect valve clearance
  • Incorrect air/fuel ratio
  • Low cylinder compression (eg sticking piston rings or worn components)
  • Dirty air cleaner
  • Restricted induction system (eg system too small or kinked inlet piping)
  • Other engine tune factors
  • Poor quality fuel
  • Excessive carbon build up in combustion and exhaust spaces
  • Cool operating temperatures