• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Starting issue

I have a m1009 that initially starts at first attempt, then sputters out, and then is difficult to start. My reading on the batterys while running is just over 13v, nothing while not running. Lots of squealing immideiately after starting as well. I would also like to know my best coarse of action to correct air getting into my fuel. The volt meter in the cab is in the yellow. Squealing stops after she warms up.

JAsher45

it sounds like you have a whole lot of problems going on here.. the electrical side first.... how gooad are your batterys.. not just voltage but your CCA, how old are they... if in doubt charge them. squalling belts would be from your alternators from trying to charge your batterys. check your belts, if the are glazed cracked or stretched replace them. MAKE sure the are tight.

Fuel side. odds are you are getting air into the system at the fuel filter/seperator. replace the fiter and check all your hoses. in doubt replace them the rubber line on the lift pump can get pin holes in it by the engine mount

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second the idea of checking the batteries. If you don't have a charger and tester, just about any parts store can do it for you.

Whenever you are diagnosing an electrical issue, you always want to make sure (not assume) you have fully charged/good batteries.

Rereading your post has me scratching my head. How can you have no voltage at the batteries when the truck is not running? How did you get it started?

The only way to get rid of the air-in-fuel issue is to start replacing the rubber fuel lines and check the fuel filter mount. It is known to leak at the fuel pressure test port. (the pressure tester is only used with the STE/ICE dignostic system, which most people do not have access to...). Someone just posted thier temp fix just the other day by using some plastic gold coins.

With most of the trucks being 25+ years old and never having the fuel lines replaced, alot of people have air/fuel leaks.